Spark plug explosion Whistle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Spark plug explosion Whistle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

This speark plug explosion whistle is currently on ebay. Since the Model T spark plug center electrode is designed to protrude down into the combustion chamber of the cylinder, do these inhibit the spark from functioning properly? It seems like it would, since the whistle adapter positions the center electrode high above the position at which the spark plug was designed to function. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:49 pm:

Jim,

I always wondered the same thing. I have never heard anyone say it hindered the running any, and I know lots of people who use them. I will be waiting for others opinions with you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:58 pm:

Oops. I forgot the picture. Here it is. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:18 pm:

I had one on my 22 when I bought it. It ran on all 4. I took it off and it is now on the shelf. I might re-install it for a parade some day, but I think it might not be good for the car to use it often because whenever you operate it, you lose power to one cylinder.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:27 pm:

Do you think one would work if just the whistle portion were tapped into the first (right most) port of the exhaust manifold? That way one cylinder would not lose power which might put undue stress on the crankshaft. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 05:18 pm:

When I was a kid I thought the wistle was on the exhaust because it had a constant noise when the guy activarted it and they would speed up the motor to make it change pitch.

A spark plug whistle would go chirp chirp chirp instead of wooowoooowoooo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 05:56 pm:

I have one alike on my T. No impact when driving - noticable decrease in power when activating uphill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:03 pm:

I wondered the same thing and purchased the only one like it I have ever seen. I have one made on an old splitdorf plug that allows the electrode to be in the normal position and the whistle plumbing takes off from below the lower seal of the porceline. Will post a pic later (at work now). Have heard some complain of poor running with the type available now. I have yet to test mine on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 06:39 pm:

I have an original on my 24 coupe and it runs great! I think they are great on a Model T I have mine rigged with a foot pedel so I can keep my hands on the wheel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:05 am:

Here is the pic....http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4588447618/in/set-72157623890991799/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:20 am:

Some day when I am rich I would like a set of those Green Splitdorf plugs!
Erich would you PM me the name and address of the shop where you got your radiator fixed.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 04:51 am:

AH-HA! Michael I see you have one of those firewalls like mine and a few others! :-)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/174643.html?1291907757

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:30 pm:

I have one just like it. Funny thing is the relative that gave it to me 40 years ago told me it came off a T. It currently lives on my A roadster pickup. Don't think it will fit a T.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:34 pm:

You can buy the adapter to run one on a T or an A. I had one on my T speedster, I felt a loss of power so now it sits on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:32 pm:

Fred D.
Yes, these are explosion whistles (Chirp-chirp-chirp). They mount on one cylinder. The "exhaust whistle" is a multi-whistle-tube affair that mounts under the car and is fed by an exhaust cutout. It is the one that sounds like a distant steam train whistle.
Drive safe, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration