Wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:47 pm:

Does anyone know of another wood vendor besides Fordwood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

Jon Anderson is doing early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 03:57 am:

http://www.the-craftsman.biz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:41 am:

Timmy,

Steve Cannon at Classic Wood Manufacturing in Greensboro, NC has been providing wood kits for over 20 years. According to Google Maps it is 255 miles from Augusta GA to Greensboro. While a long trip – it is still within the realm of a full day’s drive in a modern car to meet him and see his work. See the Positive forum comment at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1522.html . I have sent you a Private Message with Steve’s contact information – note the area code in the posting has since changed to 336 but he is at the same number as before – just a new area code.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter, SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:56 am:

Fordwood worked for me. Are they no longer making kits????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:02 am:

Reference to similar thread Forum 2010:T body wood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:33 am:

When I purchased my wood kit, Fordwood told me it would be a 9 month waiting period. Seriously?

I eventually bought mine from Bob's Antique Auto Parts. Their kits are made by Classic Wood in Greensboro, NC. I live in New Jersey, but at the time, the car was in NC. I had it shipped to my dad's house in NC for 50 bucks. He's about 40 miles from Greensboro.

The Classic Wood kit is pre-cut and pre-drilled for assembly but has no instructions or hardware. However, I don't believe they make wood for any T older than 1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:43 am:

Macs, Langs and Synders sell Model T wood kits. They dont sell kits for all T's but do offer kits for the later cars.
Dont know who makes the kits for them but they do seem to sell enough to keep advertising them in their catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:21 pm:

Wow, I wonder whats going on with them???? :-/

Is Fordwoods quality bad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:33 am:

When I was getting ready to install the seat fabric and top cover I had not a clue what to use for a tack strip. I talked to Fordwood (Cubels) and they said they have a man made strip, well I ordered it and it worked great. You have to heat it with a propane torch and clamp it and screw it as you install it. Once cool it is there to stay. You have to work fairly fast when heating it. Plenty of clamps and maybe an extra set of hands. As you heat it you form it and clamp and drill and put the screw/bolts as you go. As I said it worked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:38 pm:

Bill I thought that was great too! Thats where I got the idea of using plastic for the bows too and it maked sense because of it's resistance to rot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 04:41 am:

The problem with Fordwood you can't get them on the phone! A good friend who is restoring mine has a message and I left an email and no response.

Thanks for everyones help!

take care? timmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:03 am:

One challenge with some of these outfits (and I'm not sure about Fordwood) is that these folks are retired and just do this stuff when they happen to be home. And anyone that's retired will tell you they're busier now than they were when they had a job. My Dad & his brothers said it was a good thing they got rid of all the cows because there wasn't any time to milk them anymore. <grin>

The other challenge with body wood is that no kit is ever going to just drop in. Originally, the wood framing was put together first, then the body panels were applied and the edges hammered over and nailed down. Even at the factory they had to do some wood butchering even though the frame members were all machine made and jigged. You can tell this by looking at original pieces where a horse rasp or similar file has been taken to various spots in order to fit the metal panel properly.

Now you come to today and you have a fellow who has a Beaudette drivers side, a Fischer cowl top, 3 Wilson doors (well, you get the picture). Re-wooding a body will alway be a challenge. I've done some of this myself and find it enjoyable but it'll be a few more years before that body hits the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:40 am:

Warren has a real good point. A body wood kit is not going to just drop in. You have to do a little fitting here and there. I have used a kit and its worked fine for me. Of course I had to fit it in a few places but it was worth it to me.
I am glad that some are being made and its a great help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:38 pm:

The kit I bought was real close to perfect. A little shaving here and there, but other-wise bolt and go.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration