Unidentified Accessory - Can you Help?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Unidentified Accessory - Can you Help?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:06 am:

Any ideas what this may be?
Is it a T accessory drive?

Thanks, Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:07 am:

or a thingamebob :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:46 am:

Adrian,

I think it would help if you also gave us a feel for how large the item is. Also are there any parts remaining inside the housing? And the lever with the place for a clevis pin -- does it rotate or if that lever is moved does the entire housing move? Also is the entire object cast iron and just painted aluminum or is the silver part aluminum?

Respectfully requested,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:48 am:

It looks like a gear reduction type unit but without more information it may be hard to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:05 am:

Magneto drive - mounts where generator would mount?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James C. Eubanks on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:05 am:

It is a mag drive. Not all there (internals) You can see the three bolt pattern where it would bolt to the T gen housing, the flat bottom mount plate for the mag and levers to time it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By justin h on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:46 am:

thingamebob? i thought it was a watchahmahcallit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:24 am:

I understand the 3 bolt pattern but were's the oil seal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:29 am:

Next Question. It would need a 4 to 1 stepup if I'm thinking correctly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:40 am:

The generator turns 1.5x crank speed so if the magneto is supposed to run at crank speed, it would need a 0.67:1 step down, wouldn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:44 am:

I stand corrected "stepdown" Thanks for the correction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:52 am:

Adrian, I looked at that auction too. I figure it's a mag drive that is incomplete, and moved on.

Caly30 has sold a speedster project piece by piece, and that is probably part of it. He's actually a good guy to deal with.

Hap, because it's an internet auction, Adrian can't give any more info than those pictures.

Seth, great to see your 'puter is still alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:01 am:

Still alive for now, Nevin, and I guess I'll drive her 'til she drops. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan mitchell on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:12 pm:

To Justin and Adrian, better use spell check next time ,the correct spelling would be "Thingamabob" with an "A" as per Merriam-Webster and the Oxford University Dictionary other than that I have no idea what in hells name that thing is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

This is just a guess. Looking at the top picture, the black part was made to bolt to the rear backing plate where the radius rod is connected and the end of the axle shaft goes into the aluminum part. Inside would be some type of sprocket or gear to drive a piece of machinery. Just a guess without seeing or measuring the size of it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 05:25 pm:

Thanks all, a mag drive sounds the most likely.

I don't have more details at the moment, and was not sure quite where to begin in figuring it out, so a post here was a good start.

Thanks Nevin, I have dealt with caly30 and agree he is a nice guy, and a good trader on the net. Nice to know there are some good chaps out there and not all rogues.

Alan, another example of divided by a common language :-) (or spelling :-))

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:09 pm:

A Mexican fellow (good guy) I used to work with went into an auto supply store to get something for his truck. Not knowing what to call the part he needed, He said to the clerk " I need the chingadera that goes on top of the distributor." The clerk replied "The what???" My friend returned "I'm sorry. Sometimes I forget and speak Spanish. I meant the thingamajig."
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:50 pm:

:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration