More info on this radiator shell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: More info on this radiator shell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:46 pm:

Can anyone identify this radiator shell? Looks like a stock "T" shell for the most part only with a modified center section...anyone know if this was an aftermarket piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 04:51 pm:

kinda looks like a Peerless

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 05:43 pm:

Yes it does, but all the Peerless shells I've seen say 'Peerless' on them.

Speaking of which, anyone got a 17-early 23 Peerless shell they'd like to unload? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 05:53 pm:

I dont know the shells name,but I like the car,the shell,the color,you name it.I like the whole dang thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:11 pm:

I think this is the center part of an Overland shell grafted onto a stock T shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:34 pm:

I think Layden is correct--never seen a peerles shell with a crown on it, they are always flat. Well done and nice car.

Tim Moore (typeing with one eye after catarac removal this morning)

PS--I think peerless shells came with both an embossing and a flat section with a brass peerless tag on them--have had 2 with the brass plate. Note the top section is not part of the entire front piece but has been added on and very well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 08:34 pm:

Gary I'll check to see if mine is short in the a.m. as I have one for sale danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:59 pm:

Gary - Not to hijack your thread, but I noticed something that I find very interesting on the front end of this speedster:

It's hard to see, but careful inspection (sorry Tim) seems to reveal some sort of link between the left front spring perch and one of the spring mount U-bolts; appears to be a straight bar or iron strap. Some form of what (on a modern vehicle) might be called an "anti-sway bar"?

I've heard of locking one spring shackle by clamping the shackle to the axle for more stable handling, and I'm thinking that the bar or link on the front end of this speedster might be for the same reason;........anyone???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:18 pm:

Harold, I believe it is called a Panhard bar and yes it decreases both sway and wander.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:26 pm:

Yes, that is an anti-sway bar. By the way. It is on the correct way. According to Vic Sala, they should be installed so that on a typical oval track, going counter-clockwise, the pressure compresses the bar. It should not pull on it. If the pressure pulls the bar, and it breaks, you will have a sudden sideways shift in the front-end which will shift the steering hard left. That could cause a serious loss of control. The two pieces of steel riveted together are extremely rigid. If it does decide to buckle, it will do so slowly. Not suddenly like a snap. Extensive examination of era photographs does show it done both ways. But this way is preferred.
This type of anti-sway bar helps the handling quite a bit at high speed. I know of several cars that have them. They are highly recommended. By the way, that car has a Fronty.
Drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:26 pm:

Thanks Layden; assuming it's effective, I wonder why we don't see that more often on Model T's,..???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:29 pm:

Thanks to you too "W2",....we were typing at the same time,.......harold

Hey,...I could have said "thanks 2-U-2 "W2"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:34 pm:

Wayne - I guess you also answered my question in regard to why we don't see them more often on Model T's,...."helps the handling quite a bit at high speed". Hmmm,....high speed,....Model T,....'nuff said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:34 pm:

I've seen the car many times and I was there when that picture was taken at a college parking lot north of San Jose about 7 years ago.
Next time I see the owner I will ask what the shell story is.
The ant-sway bar in front is so that the frame and body hanging from the shackles can't sway to one side or the other causing a push or pull on the steering link which makes the car wonder.
I had to put one on my touring after I bolted a rack & pinion steering to the frame.
I could absolutely not drive it over about 25 MPH as it would dart from side to side unexpectedly.
Actually I think that car has a flathead. The headers just make it look like it has an overhead valve head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:39 pm:

Ya, It's a flathead.
Go to: nwvs.org and find number 12 speedster owned by the Feichmier brothers and see more pictures of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:48 pm:

Must be old information. I helped bolt the Fronty on. (I just happened to wander by the day they were working on it a couple years ago.) Unless he changed it back? But I don't think so.
That is a great photo. The car looks as nice up close as it does in pictures. It is very well done. I wish more speedsters were that correctly restored.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:59 pm:

Nope, you're right Wayne, but when that picture was taken it was a flathead.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration