Old Car Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Old Car Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:25 pm:

Spent time today scanning in old family photos and ran across this one. Can anyone identify the make and model?

Old car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:15 pm:

I dunno the make or model, but it seems to be busted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:25 pm:

Maybe a Stutz?

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=hf09&CarID=r214&Currency=USD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:52 pm:

I ran a scan at 1200 dpi and could make out some detail of the grille area. The small round area is mounted above the license plate and encircles a bell, like an old Bell System bell. It does not appear to be symbolic for the car. No radiator cap symbol either. Hub caps appear to be hex style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Jamison on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:03 pm:

There was a Bell Motor Car Company in York, PA from 1916-1922. A 1917 Touring was recently donated to the York Heritage Trust (see here: http://www.yorktownsquare.com/img/car0080410__041008-bil-bottles-9_300.jpeg).

The radiator looks different, but they did have a bell logo.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:07 pm:

The white line around the radiator core was a Stearns trademark. Looks like a 1914.
The bell emblem is an early Cailfornia Auto Ass'n badge.
I hope this helps,
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:48 am:

By golly Chris, I think you've hit upon it. The bell license top logo could also be true. Here's a link to a 1914 pic: http://www.remarkablecars.com/for-sale/stearns-knight/p19490-1914-stearns-knight -7-passenger-touring.html

I've included the following from Wikipedia:

"Stearns-Knight was a luxury automobile produced in Cleveland, Ohio first by the F.B. Stearns Company from 1900 to 1925, and then under ownership by WillysOverland Company of Toledo, Ohio until 1929.

Stearns became the first American automobile to use the sleeve valve Knight Engine in its vehicles in 1911.

Frank Ballou Stearns sold his company in 1925 to John North Willys who maintained the company as a non-integrated affiliate of WillysOverland.

Production of the Stearns Knight ended on December 20, 1929."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration