Model T's & Christmas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Model T's & Christmas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cansdale on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:39 pm:

Hi Guys,

Around this time last year I put up a thread looking for Model T photo's at Christmas time, and/or in the snow to add to my website gallery. I got a whole bunch of shots that I featured here:
http://www.modeltcentral.com/model-t-ford_xmas-Ts.html

I would love to add more to this collection, so if anyone out there has a photo not already shown, it'd be great to get hold of a copy and add to the collection.

Adrian Whiteman, keeper of a seemingly endless collection of period shots, if you have any period Christmas Model T photo's, that'd be REALLY great (or anyone else for that matter too)to add to the collage.

Forever grateful for any contributions,

Cheers
Chris
www.modeltcentral.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alexander Douglas Kennedy on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:40 pm:

this was a few years ago, but it works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bishop on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:03 pm:

Last week at the Toyland Parade in San Diego, CA.
1917 T touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:18 pm:

Chris - I'm sure Dennis Halpin would send you a Christmas photo of his tudor except that I'm pretty sure that his "T" is still recovering from the embarrassment of Haloween! Ha,ha,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:21 pm:

I'm sure you realize I'm just kidding Dennis; I thought that Halloween thing you did with your "T" was one of the coolest things I ever saw done with a Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:52 pm:

Williamsburg Christmas Parade

We entered our 26 Tudor in the WIlliamsburg Christmas Parade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

I'm still driving this T. I have put chains on it now and I'm still starting it with the crank. I have been starting it on mag so far. The coldest weather we have had has been o degrees. I'm using 10-30 oil and I'm surprised how well it runs. Lance in Minnesota

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 02:59 pm:

We loaned Santa our 1922 blue Speedster #22 so he could get the toys delivered more quickly last year. We took his whole herd of 10,352 reindeer in as collateral and had to feed and water them not only while he delivered the gifts to the boys and girls but also had to feed them while he made the toys. But he left Mary the makings of another super fast Model T so it was worth it. Mary didn't want the parts at all and so I traded a new washing machine and dryer to her for them and she is happy.

By the way his reindeer eat milk and cookies and because lots of folks put those out for him and he can't eat and drink all of it, he brings it back in his sleigh to feed to the reindeer. That answers a big question for me that I have always wondered about.

I thought that he only had his ten reindeer, but I actually counted 10,352 for the contract plus his famous ten.

Santa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cansdale on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 04:22 pm:

Thanks Guys,

Frank - good work on photo shop there - it was pretty obvious really - Reindeer don't eat snow!

I have added these to the web page and they should be appearing shortly.

Other contributions are most welcome!

Cheers
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 04:46 pm:

Big Bear Lake snow contains 80 proof alcohol in several different flavors due to the ethanol in the California gasoline and the emissions regulations. The reindeer loved it and didn't want to go home with Santa. It was a tough battle but we resolved it. Most of the time it is rather slushy but it works well in margaritas and Mities with pine apple and coconut juice. The stuff makes your crank stay up all day without assistance.

juice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 06:04 pm:

Start of Christmas parade

At the start of the Christmas parade in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Lucy is in the passenger seat, dressed up in her finest Christmas outfit.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Rice- Houston on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:16 am:

ours from last year, hope to do the same thing this weekend
'T'ree shopping
Mackenzie and her 'T'ree
daughter Mackenzie and her 'T'ree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:21 am:

Neil, it looks like you got caught in the same snow storm we did in Apex. Running a steam locomotive in the snow is one of the things I never thought I'd live to see. Hate I couldn't see that parade though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:21 am:

Robert,

I would gladly trade the parade for a ride in a steam loco. Do you have any pictures to post?

Being from California, I was amazed to see lots of people out in the cold to watch the parade.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:46 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:48 pm:

Is that Santa that I see sitting in a Model T? Merry Christmas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 04:29 pm:

Here is what I used to do before the state police made me quit

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:36 pm:

Bob
Did you run a small generator on board or power them with a couple of batteries. I have thought about such a project for driving around with a well lighted Christmas T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:28 pm:

Jon,
I had a 1 KW generator on the left running board. I loaded it to the max which worked out to about 2200 lights. The new LED lights draw considerably less current. If I were to do this again, I would at a 200 watt inverter and deep cycle battery set up.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:04 pm:

The way we get our tree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:07 pm:

Neil,

I don't have any photos, but I do have some videos.

The first one is the run-by before it started coming down hard. I'm actually in the window firing, note I didn't cut back on the oil feed enough hence the black smoke, I'M STILL LEARNING!!

The second one is one I shot from the caboose going up the steepest grade on our line. The engineer said it was the most awesome experience he'd every had and it was also the hardest thing he'd ever done. If you watch you can see it slipping, and it only got worse the rest of the way up, we just barely made it. That only means one thing though, time for a bigger engine! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CopvcgpD0

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=485891869768&comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:50 pm:

Robert,

Love the winter Steam!

Sounds of Christmas long ago and far away.....

Time to set up the G-Scale trains for the Christmas garden...

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:44 pm:

Robert,

Thanks for sharing. Great videos.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:06 pm:

Merry Christmas MTFCA

Delivering 'Model T' era toys & out in the 20 getting our Christmas tree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:01 am:

Great videos I love the sound of an old steam engine. Watching your videos I could almost smell the coal smoke. Thanks for posting. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:16 am:

Christmas 2009 in Dallas - we were able to build a snow man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:07 pm:

The hairnet/sock/tube they put 'em in now is neat:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Setters on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:28 pm:

Santa's Depot Hack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:52 pm:

Put the Christmas Tree up this weekend and found the kids had decorated 'Mabel' too. "Can we show mum?" they asked. Seemed like a great idea to me, take the car out for a spin. My wife Michele had to work today (Sunday), so popped around to our office at Henley Beach to show her the kids handiwork. Then we came home along the Esplanade, Semaphore, down to Outer Harbour & back, dropped in on some freinds, took their kids that had never been in a model 'T' before for a spin, cuppa & a chat. Got home at 5.30pm. What a great way to spend an afternoon. Thanks to Bruce, Trent & Hap for all of their support in 2010.

While we are driving around and having a great afternoon our thoughts cannot help but be with all the townsfolk and families suffering with the floods affecting some of Australia at the moment. May the waters subside and those towns somehow come out of this natural disaster OK. Merry Christmas to all...Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:02 pm:

Thanks for the comments on the steam engine. She's a real worker for her size. James, she's an oil burner, it's a good thing too since coal is very expensive here. We burn used motor oil that we pick up from various service shops in the community so they don't have to pay disposal fees. So if any of you boys are willing to make some donations on your next oil change...;)

Sadly, today was the last run of the season, and as usual she ran flawlessly at the end of the year after we spent 8 months getting everything sorted out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:49 pm:

Here's one more from today made by one of our members.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=182388755105009

I didn't mention this before, but we had two whistles on board. The one heard over the crossing is a Lunkenhiemer 3 chime which is our regular whistle. The other one is a Norfolk and Western Hooter which ran on #2173, Y6b class locomotive. Depending on who you talk to, the Y6's and their predecessors, the A's, were the most powerful locomotives built in this country. It was awesome having it on again, but good lord it's loud.

Thought I'd share, now let's see some more T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Findley on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:58 pm:

We drove Mabel, 26 TT, in a couple of Christmas parades. My bride Melissa, my Dad Al, and Dad's lady Lois work on decorations. Melissa and Lois get ready to throw candy as Dad and I ride up front.
Check out Dad's Ford Cap! We were in the classic car grouping. We stole the show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:45 pm:

Here we are getting last years Christmas tree... In the 27 TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:27 pm:

At the top of my list as one of my favorite decorations, given to us 3 years ago by our dear neighbor who knows we like cars!

And this next picture shows that yes, we have a "Red Neck Christmas Tree" and goes with the Metropolitan restoration currently happening in the garage! It is part of a light strand that has cars and margaritas on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:20 pm:

Sorry, Kathy, a Nash Metro is a great brake donor for a T.

Actually, I believe the only Metro brake part not available new is the backing plate, and I'm sure those could be reproduced.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:27 am:

Kathy's pictures reminded me of something. I have been looking for one of the Disney movie Cars characters Lizzie, the '24-'25 T coupe. I want to get one to make a Christmas Tree ornament as we have a '25 coupe. I saw some of them about three years ago, before we got the coupe, but I have been looking for over a year and half now and I can't find one. I have found every other character in that movie but Lizzie. Does anyone know why she is so hard to find? I thought maybe Disney may have gotten into some kind of licensing dispute with Ford or something. Just seems odd that she is the only one that isn't in the stores. Any thoughts? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Knoll Jr on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 04:10 am:

Dave , I found a lot of "lizzie's" on ebay doing a search for "Cars Lizzie". I too noticed you can't get them in stores anymore .... Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 01:14 pm:

We enjoyed the Centralia, MO. Christmas Parade this year in our 26 Fordoor. Folks appreciate seeing the car, and especially hearing the horn honk. Merry and Safe Christmas to everyone.
Bill V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:46 pm:

We enjoyed the Centralia, MO. Christmas Parade this year in our 26 Fordoor. Folks appreciate seeing the car, and especially hearing the horn honk. Merry and Safe Christmas to everyone.
Bill V.
Christmas Centralia, MO 2010

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 07:34 pm:

Chris I will have to disappoint you! I have period pictures of Sunday school outings, victory parades, cross country journeys and other special events BUT no period Christmas pictures.

I will be happy to add some to my collection if someone out there has one or two?

Kind regards
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:15 pm:

With the risk of derailing as this picture is not from Christmas time - however it is from the WW Santa Claus conference 2009 at "Bakken" north of Copenhagen where it was decided that Christmas day that year would be December 25:

They had it this year as well and surpricingly came to the same desicion: December 25th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:26 pm:

Sorry, couldn't help it: 1902-4 Franklin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cansdale on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 04:47 pm:

Hi Guys,

Hey Adrian, I was sure you'd come up with the goods!

Never mind.

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far.
I have added the most recent photo's as well.

Cheers
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:10 pm:

My lovely wife with Santa (me) taken several Christmas's ago. Merry Christmas to all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:26 pm:

Keep em coming. The pics from this thread are going to be my Christmas screen saver :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:31 pm:

Gary, Here's one my better half took of Santa checking the gas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration