Car Bag?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Car Bag?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:48 am:

Have any of you ever used a Car Bag / Car Jacket for winter or other long term storage? I have looked high and low, and it seems that there is only one manufacturer of these. If you have used one, what has been your experience, god or bad? Do they do everything that you expected? What would you like to see that it doesn't offer? I would really like to learn more about them. How do you handle drips? Gas funes? How much desiccant is provided and does it really keep things dry? Whatever you can share would be appreciated. Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:58 am:

I've seen one in use at Vintage Ford in Sacramento. It used a fan to keep the plastic bubble the car was parked in inflated. Is that the type of cover your speaking of??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 03:43 pm:

Jay, No, that isn't what I was referring to. I am talking about the ones that are made from a material similar to a heavy poly tarp. It is zippered on three sides, kind of like a sleeping bag. You unfold it, drive the car onto one half then put a cloth cover over the car then fold the other half over the top and zip it up. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 08:13 pm:

I got a bag from an agriculture supplier. They had several sizes. Don't remember which supplier. A net search should provide one. The bag is made with a very tough material. It zips up and is nearly airtight. It came with plenty of dessicant. Just bake them in low heat oven to reuse. I use it to store my 31 Phaeton with tons of chrome. When I open it up in the spring it looks just like when I put it away. No tarnish, rust, rodents, or insects. To put it away you open the bag, drive the car on it, add the dessicant and zip it up. I remove the battery, add Stabil, and put down some mats for drippings. One supplier, Carbag.com is now Carjacket.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:06 am:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 09:29 am:

I have a friend who swears by them. I think he has 3 or 4 cars zipped up in these things over the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:41 pm:

Steve,
Last fall (2009) I got my '52 Jag back from the restoration shop, and before winter arrived, I put it in a "CarJacket".
This last spring it came out just like it went in.
So about a month ago I put it back in again with fresh bags of desiccant.
That is the only negative aspect. I found the rejuvenation process for the desiccant too bothersome, so I bought new.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 02:23 am:

Thanks Roar, I'll keep that in mind. I am basically doing a feasibility study on possibly producing these and becoming competition with the "CarJacket" people. I am hoping to be able to provide a product that is at least as good at a lower price. There is one other source that is cheaper, but it is a "Made in China" product that is a "one size fits all" and it is humongous. My biggest issue to deal with is getting a place big enough to do this. The material storage, cutting tables, etc. would take up quite a bit of room that I don't currently have. That might be my downfall on this project.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration