More TT questions about clutch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: More TT questions about clutch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 01:10 pm:

I am working on a 1919 with starter, tube type rear tires etc. I have the opposite problem as shown in the top photo. The clutch lever is too long. I checked the 1920 and 1928 parts books nether show different clutch levers. Was there a change in the course of production, the early ones using the same lever as the cars and the later ones using the longer ones.
See link;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173527.html?1291180048

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 02:28 pm:

Could it be that the brake lever assembly has been move forward on the chassis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George A Wood on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:42 pm:

Tried three cross shafts on my TT. The cam was different on all of them. Ended up cutting and grinding off the cam and having a reproduction cam from Snyder's brazed in the proper position. Someone had changed the brake shaft and steering drag link before I got the truck. Neither worked properly. I think that a 25 TT must be different than a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:11 pm:

George,
You might be right about that. The frame is deeper from top to bottom on a TT than it is on a car.
It could have been a car cross shaft, Mark?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

No it is a truck cross shaft and is in the proper place. You have to pull the lever way past vertical all most to the end of it's travel to engage the clutch into neutral. The cam (speed lever 1133) on the shaft it's self does not appear to be bent. That is why I was wondering if there is an early and late version of the clutch lever. The 1920 and 1928 parts books does not even show the clutch lever in the TT section.
This truck has Bennett outside brakes that are used in this case as both stopping and parking brakes. We are making longer brake rods as the ones that were on it would not let you pull the hand lever back far enough to put the truck in neutral and set the parking brakes at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:04 am:

Mark, I don't think there is any difference in any of the TT brake cams as far as length is concerned, the frames were all made with the same dimensions. I would guess that your lever or the shaft is bent, or the pin is sheared as was mentioned in the previous post. George, all of the TT brake cams are different than the car cams, but they are all the same dimension. The only difference that I have seen, is that apparently the very early TT's used a forged cam. I have one. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration