No freeway GPS App for iphone

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: No freeway GPS App for iphone
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 06:10 pm:

I down loaded a GPS application for my iphone, the MotionX-GPS Drive, Version 7.3. An interesting feature of this App is that you can specify navigating from point A to point B without going on any freeways. I checked and the route from my home in Wilkesboro to the place in Wilmington did in fact not use any freeways.

The App cost under $3, which is about 1/100 the cost of a dedicated GPS.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:33 pm:

But the iPhone with a two year service plan costs about $1500. How is that cheaper than a GPS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jasonious on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:24 am:

And what happens if you get a call?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:50 am:

Amazing that we can discuss using iPhones and GPS devices to further enhance the enjoyment of the T without fanfare, but when something like the E-Timer is discussed, all hell breaks loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:59 am:

Seth,

That sure is the truth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:05 am:

Ken, Somehow my cost for my iphone is lower. Yes, the GPS application does not include the cost of the iphone. There is also a yearly fee of about $20 (or monthly about $3) if you want the full features of MotionX, which I think you need if you want to plan an off-freeway route.

Jason, The MotionX application keeps running while you use other applictions, such as answering the phone.

I do have a normal GPS (Garmin) that I use as a speedometer when driving my T. However, it does not provide an option for an off-freeway route and if I purposely get off the freeway, it tries to reroute me back on the freeway.

Once I plan a route, I copy it down on a piece of paper (or print it out) so that I have a backup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:31 am:

What happened to the good old days when you had your map spread accross the hood of your car! Im not complaining though, When I went to Fla a couple of months ago we were detored off the DC beltway and boy did I ever get lost. A quick call to my son and got me back on the road via his internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:39 am:

Will, Maps work great. I have every electronic aid for my boat but still keep paper charts, and have them out when underway. But, my GPS has saved me from getting lost more than once.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:11 am:

GPS as a Speedometer?

Great Idea!
I love reading posts that give hints like this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen--Abilene, Tx on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:17 am:

I have an free apps on my i-phone that is a speedometer. Seems to be accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:14 pm:

We have a Garmin 255W GPS and if you don't ask for the quickest or shortest route, it will prompt for non-freeway driving and will even avoid toll roads. But, it will not run off of the 12 volt car battery while the engine is running. The generator regulator is from a 1950's Ford car which uses three coils and vibrating points to regulate amperage and voltage. Acceleration causes the battery voltage to change just enough that it shuts off the GPS and has to warm up again as we go. So we run on the storage in the Garmin's own battery. It is very accurate as a speedometer and even gives altitude. It also gives the speed limit for the street we are on. It has many voices and we have a very posh British lady telling us where to go at the present time. The Garmin's battery lasts for about five or six hours on a charge as far as we can tell although we have never timed it. It will charge through the car accessory port as well as the wall or through the computer with a USB port.

We paid $112 for it from Amazon and did not get the "T" designation because it was expensive and they are changing the way traffic is up-dated to GPS's so the ones that have traffic updates will no longer receive that information after 2012.

spikes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:31 pm:

I plan Model T routes with Mapquest, which also has a feature that avoids highways. It has the added feature of being able to mark certain roads to avoid. For instance, if I scan down the directions and see a heavily traveled state road, I can flag it and the directions will be recalculated staying off that road. Somtimes it takes several iterations before I have a route using only lightly traveled back roads that I'm happy with, but I generally like the results.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration