Our Thoughts and Prayers to our Friends Down Under

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Our Thoughts and Prayers to our Friends Down Under
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:54 am:

I just read a news article that said 45 communities in Australia are experiencing the worst flooding in 30 years. Four dead and thousands homeless. My thoughts and prayers to all and I hope our Model T friends are safe and dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:47 pm:

Thank you for your thoughts. South Australia has been hit hard around the Stockport area. However, we are well off compared to other parts. My thoughts are with the people townas like Wagga Wagga (NSW), Quenbeyan (ACT), Wangaratta (Vic) and Rockhampton (Queensland) that are all flooded. Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:12 pm:

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:35 pm:

Same here, so sorry to hear of this :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:37 pm:

Our friends from down south seem to have been hit hard this year. Earthquakes in New Zealand not long ago and now floods in Australia.
Very much in our thoughts and prayers.
Take care of you and yours, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wotherspoon on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:53 pm:

Hi, here are a coupoe of photos that a friend sent me from Dubbo, New South Wales. This was one of the twons effected by the floods.
The company I work for has a sawmill in Tumut NSW, and we have struggled to get trucks in and out of the town due to the floods. Tumut is near Wagga Wagga, one of the towns badly effected by flooding.

The first one is the tourist information centre in Dubbo.

The second one is a photo at the bottom of the main street in Dubbo.

Cheers,
James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:01 pm:

My thoughts are with all of you down under, be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:20 am:

My condolences, also. That's quite a turnaround from the dozen year drought some or much of Oz suffered.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:57 am:

I was born and raised in Wagga Wagga. (The largest inland city in NSW).
Back in 1974 I spent the night with half of the town and nearly all of the nearby Kapooka army base filling sandbags in order to raise the levy bank up a couple of feet. We succeeded in stopping the river from entering the town even though it was the highest river ever recorded....still is.
The problem Wagga faces is that in the centre of town there is a lagoon that in normal circumstances rises and falls with the river.
Our old family home is situated on the Esplanade, on the banks of this lagoon.
In times of flood the lagoon is closed off from the river and normally just stays stable untill the river returns to normal levels.
However, this time there was a second wet system that dumped huge amounts of water onto an already soaked Wagga and because the river was so high, it could only run into the lagoon, causing it to threaten to flood the town from the INSIDE of the levy. The locals saved the situation by pumping massive amounts of water from the lagoon into the already swollen river.

RANT begins.....
I have just (2 hours ago) returned from seeing Queanbeyan, where the townsfolk are trying to clean up the mess there. Their river rose 3 meters (10feet) in 2.75 hours. This wasnt a record height either but the problem in this case is that over the past 10 years the government has been systematically killing off all the willows along the creeks and rivers, because they are not native and because they clog up the waterways. This is true, and I agree with the willows removal, but they werent removed. They were just left where they fell to rot. The problem is that these floods have picked up these willows and transported litterally thousands of tons of the stuff down stream to end up on bridges, causeways, buildings etc etc. The cash strapped local councils are now left with the task of cleaning up this huge mess caused primarily by this ever-greening govenment.
END of rant.

The flood waters from Queanbeyan will soon flow into the Burinjuck dam and then be relased into the already over-full Murrumbidgee and flow into Wagga, putting more presure on the township and its people.

There was no flooding where I live on the south coast of NSW, but it doesnt mean we didnt get wet here. I recorded 27mm which fell in the space of 12 minutes last Thursday.

Thank you all for you messages of support. I'm sure those affected by these floods will recover and fight on.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:32 pm:

I'm truly sorry to read about your disaster. There have been many throughout the world this year!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:12 pm:

We just visited the east coast of OZ and found the people to be fantastic. There was much talk of long drought. Now this. We will not be able to keep from thinking of our friends and all the flood affected folks. I hope the "normal" weather returns soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration