Question for the MTFCA forum members

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Question for the MTFCA forum members
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:12 am:

A couple of days ago I ran into a large pile of old news papers ranging from about 1910 to around 1930. Looking through them I noticed a lot of advertisements. These included things like tires, cars, and other automotive items.
Would anybody mind if I scanned a few of these and posted them on the forum a couple of times a week. There has to be over a 200 different news papers.
I was amazed at some of the things that were being sold back then. There was one advertizment that was a tire that was formed to look a link chain and then another on a nonskid tire that didnít look like any nonskid tire we see today then another advertised a Stewart tire pump that ran off the engine. The list is almost endless.
Being a history buff it was like walking into a gold mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:17 am:

By all means post them! :-) I'm sure everyone would like to see those ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:27 am:

I always am interested in old advertisements. A while back, someone posted an ad for a Benn tire pump that runs off the front of the T motor. I've got one. Should've copied the ad.

Go for it Will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:56 am:

Yes Yes Yes Please do it.

You'll be preserving them for the future.
While your at it save the scans to a CD and put a copy in a safe place.

Maybe send a copy to the MTFCA Museum
We don't want to loose things like that!

JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:17 am:

Sounds like a great plan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:34 am:

Yes please! I'd love to see this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:43 am:

Sounds like fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:35 pm:

Yeah, I'd like to see that stuff, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:39 pm:

We must see them, all please.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:12 pm:

Excellent idea Will! I have seen old adds like that and have often wondered how many things I have seen at swap meets and auctions that I should have bought but didn't know what they were. Great idea, and I also think it would be a good idea to keep a record of them as Fred said. You might even give some thought to making a book if there are enough of them. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:41 pm:

Will - Great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:45 pm:

All ahead full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:18 pm:

I am not saying you should copy Jay's accessory of the day, but if you post them like he does it will be easier to find a particular ad.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:33 pm:

Will - That would be interesting for sure! And I'll bet that tire you were describing was called "U.S Royal Chain" and I remember that tread design from when I worked in a bicycle shop when I was a kid. Sheeeesh! I AM getting old!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan mitchell on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 04:56 pm:

I love going through old ads, it's amazing the stuff that's come and gone ,and some that's stayed. I say "Bring it on Will"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:03 pm:

Great Idea - perhaps head up your posts as "Period Advert - subject" in the subject line (or something like that) to make then easier to identify.

Kind regards
Adrian Whiteman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:28 pm:

Sounds like good reading to me, do it to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:05 pm:

Post away! I think we would all learn from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:18 am:

Will Copeland:

I think it will be very interesting, please do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:25 am:

Good idea. An entertainment I've enjoyed is going to the library and reading microfilmed local papers from the twenties and thirties. The ads are interesting and the comics are addicting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd - Victoria, B.C. on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:57 am:

Sounds like a great idea Will.
I'd be interested in seeing what you've found.

Regards,
Steve Boothroyd

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration