Stewart speedometer odometer and speed numbers are swelled

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Stewart speedometer odometer and speed numbers are swelled
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:24 am:

I have several spare Stewart 160 speedometers that look great except that the number drums for the odometer and speed, appear to be swelling and cracking similar to what pot metal does when it starts to deteriorate and swell. So much so that the numbers are pressing against the backside of the speedometer cover plate. Everything else on the speedometer, mechanically, is fine. Does anyone still manufacture replacement number drums for the various models of Stewart speedometers? If so, where could I obtain them? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:30 pm:

This is the main problem with Stewarts from what I've read and seen. To my knowledge, nobody reproduces the potmetal parts but maybe Russ Furstnow will offer some advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:46 pm:

They made one with plastic numbers. They never go bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 04:15 pm:

Jim,
I hate to tell you this, but once the pot metal odometer dials swell, there is no satisfactory repair that can be accomplished. The earlier plastic odometer dials are the only dials that work in a Model 160 speedometer, and no one is reproducing any internal parts for antique speedometers today.
Sorry for the bad news, Russ Furstnow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration