Wood wheel finish

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Wood wheel finish
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:04 pm:

On the trailer topic, I posted a picture of the trailer but we are up to 5 emails already on the chassis that was on it and the wheels shown. For those wishing to know where I got them done…surprise!

No, they were not just done, but I can say how they were as I did them myself many moons ago.

They were done somewhere about 1980 give or take a year and yeah they have held up marvelous!!

They were acid dipped until the paint was just soft and no longer wanted to cling of its own at a local furniture guy’s vat in Elgin IL. I had to go this extreme as someone had undercoated the wheels and spokes years earlier with some sort of a yellow that was near porcelain in finish and they defied scraping...but the vat made short work of that!

They were scraped clear and clean of any goo with broken glass edge, and taken immediately back to the furniture shop where they were then dipped in a neutralizer specific to the acid used and held there for two days, flushed with a light water wash and then air dried completely. They air dried without warpage shrinkage, or any checking whatsoever (Call that lucky) and I attribute that to the skill of the 'stripper' as it was not simply a lye tank but a guy who was already known in the area to successfully strip heirlooms.

A very light sanding was all that was required, and the color shown is the color the wheels decided to turn on their own, it is not stain.

This was followed with 3 coats of natural Water-lox exterior Tung oil over the next 3 weeks.

The 'plating' on the rims is a trick on the eyes. A basecoat of what may have been standard Rust-o-leum silver of the time (read oil based) and allowed to completely dry. Then an overspray coat of an early 'clear' base made by Rust-o-leum also with but a drop or two of what would have been the standard Rust-o-leum Black offering of the day added to the quart of clear.

What you see is what I got...that color is the same as the first day, no UV yellowing, and other than an occasional wash, absolutely nothing has been done to them, even chip repair as there has been none since the day that I finished them.

To those e-mailers…thanks for the complements…I did them as a ‘newbie’ and that’s probably the only original thing that I apparently did right. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:02 pm:

Nice wheels George but I can beat that. I have a car that my dad restored in the mid 60's. They still look good. They too have darked with age much like your. I think they look better then newly done. Oop, sorry to steal your thunder. Your is still the best. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:23 pm:

These were done about 1980. Minwax polyurethane clear spar varnish over new Hickory. They have withstood tens of thousands of miles of touring, having been mounted on two different cars. Many times these wheels have gone through streams, and been on the open trailer in heavy downpours, or in blazing sunlight for days on end. Many sets of tires have been worn to baldness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:32 pm:

No thunder to steal...none meant...

I think what it says and what the others report is that if you do a 'system' and do it right with a good level of detail and prep...you can get 'good' results that DO last for decades and decades! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:39 pm:

hey Royce, did you know you have a flat tire? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:20 pm:

Its only a little flat on the bottom, just rotate. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:14 am:

lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:25 am:

I did something a little different this time. I dipped the spokes in "deck wash", let them sit 10-15 minutes, as per directions. Then took a "Brillo" pad to them, in rinse water. They cleaned up fast a good. I'm finishing them with marine urethane tomorrow. Fast, easy and look good so far...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd - Victoria, B.C. on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:45 am:

Nice set of wheels George; I am going to replace my rear wheel spokes early next year.
Royce, did you have someone make the new spokes and fellows, or do them yourself?
They look great!

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 11:12 am:

Steve,

I think those wheels were redone by a guy in Ardmore, OK. I don't know if he is around still, that was a while back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration