Trouble getting a file into a post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Trouble getting a file into a post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:49 pm:

I scanned a newspaper story about Fords from a 1908 New York Times into a PDF file. When I tried to attach it to post on the fourm but the forum messenger says itís over 200 kilobytes. How do I make it smaller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:14 pm:

New York Times articles are archived in PDF form from 1851 to 1980.

It would probably be easier to find the article on the NY Times archives website and then post the link to that article on the forum, instead of attaching the PDF to the forum.

Click on the link below to see the results of a search I did on Ford Motor Company from 01/01/1908 through 12/31/1908. If you can locate your particular article, click on that article to see a summary. At the end of the summary, there is a link to download the PDF online (the scan of the actual article). Copy the web address of the PDF and past it into a new post.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?frow=0&n=10&srcht=s&daterange=period&query =ford+motor+company&srchst=p&submit.x=14&submit.y=8&submit=sub&hdlquery=&bylquer y=&mon1=01&day1=01&year1=1908&mon2=12&day2=31&year2=1908

If your article is not in the above results. just do another search using the word Ford with the exact date of the article in the date range function.

Hope this makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:19 pm:

For example:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9404E6DC1739E333A25755C0A9669D 946997D6CF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:23 pm:

Will - based on your test post, I'll bet this is what you are trying to post:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9902E3DD1731E233A2575BC0A9679D 946997D6CF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:24 pm:

I didnt get this from the internet but rather scanned the paper it's self on my home scanner. My scanner turned it into a a large PDF file. How do I make the file to fit so I can post it here on the fourm. When I scanned it the first time it was to dark, so I copied it on to white pinter paper to make it readable then rescanned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:26 pm:

Eric, How did you do that? You were right on the money. Do you have the same paper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:30 pm:

Will

Try this: Left Click on on pic or artical, then click on edit,on the top there will be one that is RESIZE click on it,then ckick on picksels,then change the numbers ( the largest one) to 500. go to the upper left corner (the blue rectangle) click on it,go down to save,click on it. Then check the size no. that apear along the bottom. Thay should be under 200 kb. then it should work.
Good luck.Looking foward to the pictures.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:35 pm:

I saw the cryptic text on your other post and there were enough words in it for me to figure out which NY Times article you were looking for.

I don't have the paper. The New York Times has an internet archive. Articles from 1851 to 1980 are already scanned and available in PDF form on their website.

I didn't download the article. I merely copied and pasted the link where the article resides on the NY Times website.

The quality isn't the greatest most likely because the scan is of a microfilm copy of the newspaper that was made years ago instead of a scan of a clean copy of the newspaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:45 pm:

I didnt know a person could just get the newpaper item off the web. Guess I'll get rid of those eight boxes old newspapers after I read them. I was wondering why I got them so cheap. I'm to coumpter stupid to get past this point. When I see my son I'll see if he can figure out how to take the papers and scan them on my home scanner so I can post the advertizments. If not well then I tried. That one was the only Ford item I found in the 1908 paper. I cant turn the pages to many times as they are falling apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:08 pm:

Don't give up on your project.

The NY Times just happens to have a online archive. This doesn't mean that all newspapers are available on online archives.

If you have the original newspapers, your scans will be much higher quality than the NY Times archive which appears to have been scanned from microfilms which make them low quality.

You may consider setting up an account Photobucket or a similar website and scanning the advertisements as jpegs. This will give you high resolution. You can post to the Forum and then provide a link to the jpeg in your Photobucket account. This is what Jay has been doing with his accessory instruction posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:10 pm:

Will:

Here is an example - do what Jay is doing utilizing a Photobucket account:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/175423.html?1292021974

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration