U-joint Install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: U-joint Install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris ,Missouri on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:03 pm:

I'm getting ready to hook my drive shaft up to my motor and have read the Model T Service Manual but I still am unsure about something.

Do I need to pack the driveshaft tube where the u-joint is at with grease?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:09 pm:

Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:18 pm:

Lots of grease, that housing needs to be full up with it, that is why Henry placed the largest grease cup on the Model T in that spot!

If it ain't oozing out after a tour, you didn't put enough in :-)

And lots of grease at insertion of the engine to the universal helps to align the parts, holds the square shank up for easier install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:22 pm:

And once you have done that, it will be a lot easier in the future if you install a grease cup with a zerk fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

My son and I did this on my touring car using a roll-around jack under the differential. That and resting the other end of the drive shaft on the running board truss rods, made it easy to adjust the angle and elevation of the drive shaft so it slipped on the square pin easily. You do need a thin wrench to hold the pin while slipping everything together.

I've heard some of the new U-joints are big so try a dry fit first to see if you need to file it or not. I was lucky and didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris ,Missouri on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 09:15 am:

Thanks for the info. LOTS OF GREASE IT IS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 11:18 am:

Lang's sells a neat too to help with U-Joint installation/alignment. It certainly helps with a frustrating place to work.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:01 pm:

I have a long wrench which is a copy of an early tool, but gotta say, my favorite way is to use the plastic putty knife, that I cut a square notch from to fit around the shaft.

That little plastic tool is the best thing for me, you can slip it right out after the joints close together, something you can't do with a steel wrench :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:11 pm:

I got the tool from Langs this summer to help put the rear end back in and it's a big help. Let's you turn the drive shaft that little bit to slip in.
It's a good investment. Saves pinched fingers.
Ouch!

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:15 pm:

It's much easier to grease while it is apart than to use the cup afterward to fill it! If you fill it first, you will know it is full. You still need to use the cup every 500 miles or so.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Chennell on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:46 pm:

A modern tool used for removing window handle clips is also the perfect size. Works pretty slick and is available at any parts store.

Luke Chennell
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:02 pm:

I didn't think about packing mine beforehand. I guess it does help hold the u-joint in position. I put mine together dry, then put a grease fitting in where the grease cup goes, and pumped it full. Then I removed the grease fitting and installed the grease cup.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration