Testing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Testing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:05 pm:

i
•••
OLD S 'M'O~tLL 4-0 R..P. .,.
•
Interest inl9tl91\
;'~:T,pes that ArriHdl,
,l~1..in this City Durm, i
t .'- 0., .' ' i l:.~Pa~st W~eek.. \ -:a. anl₯a1 lut week of a. number of'
,.. oar. in this city stimulated interest
, .~' automob111sts. The new models.
;.~ .' .. oh1blted in various Broadwa.y.
,'. .'. oms, and each day has seen group's
'. ..,:~~U1t~restedmotorists listening to the' F' ~'.;~nl' po1n~" of each car. The hew'
f, -'.aN inelude models of 'the Ford, Mora" sit. 11'., Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and pope-
~.';'_ ~ord Companies. Each car exhibits.
~'t.'I,M..f..r.e.tmement or improvement over last i models, and, taken together, they; I",. :tIil'Ow an interesting light on development;
"tiJl~automobne construction achieved in'
.. . ':t;.J.JTttti,elut twelve months. i,-------------------------------- t new Ford car, for example, known Ihas been reduced greatly. thereby min- Clll' i!'l among the low priced .XGdel T, a four-cylinder 20-horse power Ijmi~ing t!te possibility of .~ire trouble. offcred this season, costing $1,
~j 'lIIiIobfne, ~1th the drive on the left-hand }~ris~d~r~~f~t~~~~r::n~hin C~h~kpc;~t;h~r~ a roadster, but is' supplied wi _t ••••.oontains in its construction a new jof the flywheel. bringing the magnets into tonneau. or two individual al ~' =.... . re in automobile building. The ,.con~act with the coils and startin&" the able rear !'cats. and w~ighs ~
, .. ' f th "t t wh'oh tengmc. . pounds. The wheel base IS 110 I
'. . . 0 e car IS I S magna 0, I. i Aside from the magneto the car hal" an the. wheels are of the, artillcr:
~ct of being an acoeSl!lol'Yattached to [added feature in the left hand drive. by 4 inches.. . .
~trame of. the car, is built into the ldoing away with the necessity of alight- TI~emotor IS.~ut-cyhnder. ca:
.• _'"-.s.a'n integral part of it. This is tIitnhge fVroE~"llltCheliecsalp'ulloend tuhpe tsotretheet csuidrebstwohneen I1h0fav",lnga.h fou~TJlhnchbtore .a~d .J7l!. me es. . e ra.nsmlSSIOI
•••. '.' "..bY mak~ng the engine ~IYWh.eelper- I.and. it is a.sserted, -making' the driving Iselect IVe type. WIth annu.1
ar
bal,
ftIil.A function ot a regulatIOn magneto., of the car easier since the operator is ~nd the car IS s~aft drIven. .
. '!'he' Ford magneto consists of, two parts ~upon the side on which cars coming in IS a cone type With leather fae
~., One of these is a part ~f .the fly- ~the opposite direction pds, and he is able The car is rated at ~O horse I
~, revolves with it. and IS Included' to see the wheels of the other car and so has a pressed steel-drl?p. fra
sa, tlIle weight ot the wheel. The seoond; avoid danl:er. .' powe,r plant has bee~ refmed. a
~: Is affixed to the engine, so that the I The motor 'is a four-cylinder, four-cy- !S said to be mechamca.lly awa~
~eted.ma~neto is an integral part of i cle verticle engine, the cylinders having Its predecessors. .
, th. power. plant. 'fhe device operates in t'a bor'e, of 3%, inches and a four-inch Th~ brakes consl~t of two ex
" t~ way:' !stroke. The entire top of the engine is two mternal.opet:atmg on the re
,:'.••;.;~ i II' d 11'1 h 1 rremovable at one time 80 that the valves and e!lch pall' bemg connected t
(!' __ De 0 on or yw ee. iand cylinders can be cleaned or adjusted Iequalizer .
..., .the flywheel are attached magnets-~:eas1ly. :The magneto is low tension and The E. M. F. a Xew Comil
•~••.~n in all-an d t0 th e e.dge 0f a case tttmheiasiiognmtiiosnofb.ythjeumpplanseptaarryk. tyTphee btarathnesd- The. E. M. . F. is the new-con
~. Incloses the engine, transmission,! in .oil and the lub.rica.tion is by the splash field of low-pric~d four-cylin ..anNO., flywheel, and universal jOint,and Isy~tem. The car has a wheel base of Th a's a roomy five-passer
pia
.'~ ,c ed as to be fa cieng th face of the' o1n0l0ytnc1h,2e0s0apnodunadst,reaadn.dofth5e6re. IatreweoignhlyR moeunctedr 1on a 106th-inch wheel
L~.~Iiw"'Mu,.eel. are attached the armature colIs. two springs in .th~ ~hole car. These four-passenger tourabout, with flywheel revolves the magnet~ and are ot the semlelhphc type fro:lt and. . I
' ...~o~e in cont~~t and current IS setl r~~ It sells for $850. scat, I.nterch~ngable With the
."Ia~ each of the. sixteen coils. the com-\~W"'.~. seats, IS furmshed also. Theel
•.•. '-produet bemg led of~ ~t the ter- ;Bora Company's Fonr.,Cylinder. a power plant of simple design.
1 E' on top <?fthe tranSml!?Sl0n case to l . . an absence of exposed gea I'S,
. . :c:-Oll.and timer. whence..It returns ~o .'.~Ano..ther '!lew car which reached herelmaP.'neto furni.shed with the ca
f{;lIParkplUg• The amount of Wirlng'\!et .week IS .~~e Mora. Light .Four. The vided for in the design.'
.~ItJJ... A _A A __ : __ 1. __ A '__! - - 'Ir-. • n

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:05 pm:

Nope, that didnt work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:22 pm:

I'll bet this is what you were trying to post:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9902E3DD1731E233A2575BC0A9679D 946997D6CF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:33 pm:

Eric;
My computer wouldn't let me open what ever that is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:38 pm:

Richard:

It's a PDF of the 1908 article on the NY Times website.

Try clicking on this instead. Once it opens, click the blue box that says "View Full Article."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9902E3DD1731E233A2575BC0A9679D946 997D6CF&scp=1&sq=ford+magneto&st=p

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration