Crankshaft clearances

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Crankshaft clearances
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:20 pm:

While doing the setup for the initial Timing, I was cranking the engine by hand for #1 TDC, when it abruptly froze. All sorts of scenarios ran thru my head, leave something in a cyl, something locking up in the transmission or possibly my mind playing tricks again. At my age any thing like that is possible.

Pulled the inspection cover off and found the counter weight on #4 was striking the nut plate. Simple, cut out that section.

Sincerely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:34 pm:

What kind of crankshaft are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bell on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:52 pm:

If it is a Scat they tell you there will be interference with the pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:53 pm:

Eric; SCAT with Std dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:00 pm:

Joe; I don't remember any warning for a 'T' crank with Std dimensions. I'm not complaining, just wanting to prevent other folk from having turmoil in their lives. That has been the only issue on the installation so far.
I don't think there would be a problem with the 3 dip pan.

Sincerely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:27 am:

I have used two NZ crankshafts and ran into the same problem. Same solution.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration