What type of cutout is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What type of cutout is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:58 pm:

Don't know about this cutout, they never have any labeling on them !!?

Wish each had a visible label so you would know or later owners know what the heck is in the inside !

Here is the back side, anyone know what could be inside it? Prefer the FunProjects voltage regulator, but Nellie the '23 will just get something there for the meanwhile :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:42 pm:

That is a negative ground cutout - made for Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:22 pm:

Yeah maybe John but it's awfully tall. Looks allot taller than a stock T cutout?

That was originally on Nellie Dan?

I wonder if there is a way to test them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 09:26 pm:

Take them out to the pond and give them the skip test. If it floats,keep it. Otherwise buy a good one from Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:17 pm:

Patrick
You have the answer, no need to measure or test.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:58 pm:

Guys:

I made the one Dan is holding. Fun Projects also makes cutouts. In a weaker moment I agreed to make cutouts since I was told that many T's are only driven to and from the museum on occasion. The close up may make it look taller but it is the same size as all the rest of them including a VR since at that angle you really couldn't tell if this is a cutout or a VR but the bottom pattern of rivets and screws tells me what is inside. It is a diode and the unit came with a label on it that told what it was and to set the charge rate for 5 amps with lights off. Though we are not known for cutouts - we have been making them for over 15 years. Don't buy one if you intend to drive your T any further than the museum and don't buy one for that trip either if the museum is in the next town. Most people drive their T's further than they planned and cutouts are really hard on batteries and generators - even more so today than during the T era because of the radically different road conditions we have today. Longer sustained high RPM is very common today while dodging mud holes and ruts was more the norm during the T era and thus charge rates were lower because speeds were lower and more erratic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:04 pm:

On a more curious note, how many pictures of Dan Treace's hand are on this forum? :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:32 pm:

OK Bob

That's almost funny, but you would laugh too if you got the same royalties that I do for modeling with my hands in photos......

As for the cutout, it will go back into the bad box of T parts. Just wondered since the underside had a 'V' stamp on it, thought perhaps 'voltage regulator'?

Oh well, better order from FunProjects website, don't want to wreck the Coilman generator on start up :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:02 am:

The thing you are calling a "V" stamp is not really a stamp. That is a V shaped slit in the steel and on the VR a punch hits that from the bottom and forms it up vertical inside to then be the point where the internal parts are grounded. The laser can cut that thin of a slit in the steel to make it look like a stamped letter "V". Many people have made that same identification. I guess I should have shaped the ground lug a bit different I suppose.

John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration