Plug gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Plug gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:41 am:

Quick question. Is the gap for Champion 25 plugs .035? Getting ready for our Christmas parade in the morning.
Thanks all.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:03 am:

I don't know about Champion 25s, but it has worked well for me with other plugs.
Joe

PS Send pictures of Ts in the parade, please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:18 am:

Thanks Joe, that's what I thought. I will be the only T in the parade as far as I know, will try to get photos.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:43 am:

Bob Sanders:

I used to have a Champion chart in my shope that is now missing that used to say .035. That is what I use on all my plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:34 am:

Thanks Dave...I've adjusted and we are off in a few hours to spread a little T cheer....to heck with those A's that will be present.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:41 am:

over the years I had always set plugs with the thickness of a hack saw blade which is about right for plugs, more so that they are all the same, an 1/32" or as close to 32 thou is usually book setting on many standard settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:31 am:

.035" gap may be OK for battery ignition, & the thin dime gap sounds good ( were dimes thinner ? ) but magneto ignition IMHO shines, when everything else is in order with a .025" spark plug gap..... gives easier cold crank starts & a smoother engine on stock magneto ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:33 am:

Try it for yourself at different gaps. I find the same thing as Bob, .025" gap and Champion X plugs, after that the plugs last seemingly forever without maintenance.

I tried the Champion 25 plugs and could not get good results from them with original T ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:05 am:

Champion sells two spark plugs to fit the model T.

They sell the take-apart X plug (stock number 425) which sells for close to $30.

They sell the one-piece 25 plug (stock number 525) which sells for about $11.

Motorcraft (owned by Ford) sells one spark plug to fit the model T - the F11. It sells for less than $5.

My speedster ran great on the Motorcraft spark plugs just like it did on the Autolite 3095 plugs I replaced. I gapped them at 0.032" which is mighty close to Ford's specification of 1/32" (0.03125").

Autolite was once owned by Ford.

The Autolite 3095 and Motorcraft F11 work well in the model T because Ford made sure they would.

Champion wants you to buy the X plug from them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:21 am:

The best plugs you can buy are original Champion X. I usually pay $5 or less for them, but I splurged and spent $10 on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130441736591&viewi tem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:42 am:

If you put in a thermostat, the engine will always run hot enough you won't need those expensive plugs to avoid fouling.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:49 am:

If you put in a thermostat you will decrease your Model T's reliability and do nothing for the spark plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:54 am:

Ralph,

My car had neither a thermostat nor an intake air preheater pipe. My car's engine was completely stock other than the low-compression aluminum pistons and some unknown amount of head resurfacing.

I drove my car for almost three years with the Motorcraft plugs and it never missed a beat so I never had any reason to remove them.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:42 am:

If your engine is not running hot enough, you need hot plugs, like the -X, to make spark in a mixture that's lean enough to give decent fuel economy.

That's one reason to choke a cold engine. The rich mixture fires easier with cold plugs. Think about vacuum tubes: they need a cathode heater to enable electron flow.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:04 pm:

The Service Manual specifically states the gap to be 1/32 of an inch.

Your mileage may vary......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration