New Day Timer Brushes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: New Day Timer Brushes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:03 am:

I'm thinking about getting some New Day Timer Brushes made. I made one run already, and they are nice. The problem is they will probably be around $10 each, and I don't know if anyone is willing to pay that much? New Days can be rebuilt many times, but no one has the brushes available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:29 am:

I think most of the suppliers carry them. I know Snyders has them, not sure about Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:47 am:

Yep, listed at Langs 3221BR $10.95, available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:37 am:

Yeah, but... The repop brushes aren't all that great. My guess is that Larry has something a bit more durable in mind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 10:01 am:

Larry mine now are 12.10,and poor reprops, but all that's available

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 10:10 am:

The problem with the repro brush is the spring they use. I'm sure if Larry repro's this he will use a quality spring. I don't think $10.00 would be to much to ask for this part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 10:38 am:

Larry, good brushes are a major problem,the springs are no good. You build them and I'll take some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 11:03 am:

I'll take two. There's not a better or more accurate timer out there than one of the brown bakelite New Day timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 11:25 am:

I picked up a half dozen re faced new day timers and the same number of brushes that were rebuilt at a local swap meet last year. Should be enough timers to last the rest of my life.
The gentlemen a got the brushes from made new brass wipers out of silicon bronze to install in the original brush holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo CA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:12 pm:

Larry; I want a couple... if they're good they're worth it and you've gotta get them while you can!!! Some people might complain about the price for a well made item, but only until they break down on the side of the road using the part they saved a few dollars on..... I can't think of many things worse than ruining a tour because I saved 4 or 5 bucks on a timer brush...

Let me know when you've got them! Or bring a pocketful to Bakersfield!

Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 Vice President on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:29 pm:

The New Day brush material needs to be made out of something that will not track. Something like what starter brushes are made of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 12:35 pm:

My old New Day timer shows considerable wearbetween the contacts. It still functions OK but how can the wearing surface be smoothed? Is there an issue with wearing through the contact patches when smoothing? Has anyone tried a carbon brush to reduce wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:06 pm:

I'd buy one. I have an old New Day that the brush holder cracked on. I tried the repro brushes AND THEY SUCK!. I'd love to have a good quality New Day brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GLEN CHAFFIN on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:10 pm:

Simple solution, make your own brush. Bad springs are easy to replace. The major problem with the New Day timer is the brush. Brass, even though it is soft is too hard to be used as a brush without causind damage to the bakelite between the contacts. The perfect cure is to form a new brush using your bench grinder and a large brush out of an old generator. After forming the new brush, drill a hole and insert the pin. The carbon brush is a good electrical conductor, self lubricating, will last a long time and will not damage the bakelite. Have used this solution for years and works everytime for me. Try it, you'll like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, CO on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:30 pm:

Cecil Paoletti;

Go to a hardware store and buy a sanding disk. Cut the disk to the size of the inside of your New Day Timer. This will give a diameter some where around 2 & 1/2 inches.

A755

Then glue or hold with a screw some sand paper on the bottom of the disk.

A756

This should clean up any low spots in your New Day. How ever I find some that are indented so deep that sanding wont clean them up. I just did 6 of them and several are throw aways. The deep spots are just too deep. I didn't try cutting them down with my lathe but used New Days are so plentiful that I would not spend too much time on one that is damgaed too badly.

A757

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:07 am:

Neat little timer :-) Are these kinda like Crystal timers just not transparent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:31 pm:

Glen, I have had better success using a starter motor brush, as the black carbon generator brushes have higher resistance than a copper composite starter brush. I normally thin down the pig tail that comes attatched to the brush, fed it through the spring and solder it on the back to retain the brush. Works well.

The best run I ever had was with a dodgey repro plastic New Day... before I knew much about them. The brush that came with it was far too stiff and it chopped out the plastic in 200 miles. I was annoyed with it so I roughed it up and filled the thing with Araldite (epoxy) Grabbed it carefully in the lathe, machined it flat and used it for eight years with several brushes.

I like your cleaning fixture Dave... I have done much the same.

Cheers

AB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:09 pm:

Are the copper/brass contact patches in the New Day timer about 0.010, or 0.020 or 0.030 or perhaps as thick as the terminal is ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:22 pm:

Glen,

I think the brush holder is the part Larry is contemplating producing, not just the brush itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GLEN CHAFFIN on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:13 pm:

Anthony, You are right, the starter motor brush has lower resistance but is hard like the original brush. A carbon brush works just as well but will need replacing a little sooner. The carbon brush must conduct about 1.2 amps in the timer, it conducts about 12 amps in the generator so it is also a good conductor. The main advantage is that it will not wear the inside of the timer like a brass brush will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:46 pm:

i was wondering why more people had not used epoxy resin to build up worn timers

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration