Great news – I do not have to remove my toes! :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Great news – I do not have to remove my toes! :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:07 pm:

As some may remember, I was contemplating the removal of the toes on my right foot because they bumped the ignition switch on our 1919 wagon and turn things off while I am driving.
The T has no starter, the coil box is on the passenger side of the firewall and the switch is on the coil box.
Every time I use the trans brake my toes hits the switch and we go dead in the water.
Then I have to get out and crank it (with my right hand:-) ) to get things going again.

Today while I was giving the T a hug and saying goodbye because tomorrow I’m off the Torreon Mexico for a week
I glanced at the motor side of the firewall and realized that all I need to do is switch the battery wire where in goes thru the firewall with the mag, horn, and headlight wires
This will allow the car run on the mag when the switch is to the right instead of the left.
I’ll have to find a way to mark the switch so I don’t get confused!

Wonderful – My toes are saved…

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:31 pm:

Fred,
Why don't you just flip the key so the lever sticks up instead of down?. It's cheaper than amputation and beats re-wiring the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:37 pm:

I run key-up for the same reason (I have size 14EEE clompers).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:39 pm:

Me too. The key is always in with the long side up since I switched the key off, then back on again and blew up the muffler shells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:44 pm:

That's true. Neither the key nor the keyhole care whether the key is upside-down. Just remember: No matter which way you insert the key, twisting counter-clockwise selects battery and twisting clockwise selects magneto.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:49 pm:

KEY UP??
Good thing I didn't see my doctor or get out the wire cutters!

You guys have answers for everything! :-)

How about the next powerball winning numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alexander Douglas Kennedy on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:00 pm:

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:23 pm:

Gambling man Alex,

How's the rear axle repair going on your T?

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:58 pm:

I have mine upside-down.

I didn't used to.

My switch used to be pretty loose. While driving it would jiggle enough for gravity to take over and turn itself off!

One day it shut off while driving and the key fell out of the switch and fell down through the pedal slots in the floorboards! We looked all up and down the road and could not find that key anywhere. I finally found it dangling from the split end of the clevis cotter pin!

With the key upside down, it can't happen.

I've been driving it with the key upside-down ever since.

: ^ )

Keith

ps-

When the key is upside down, it is easier to reach!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson, Rupert, Idaho on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:46 pm:

I would go ahead and have the toes on both feet amputated, then you can buy smaller boots, and they will be cheaper.
Gus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:45 pm:

This is what I like about this forum!! I have 14's that alway kill my T in the middle of a parade. Have been looking for an old key to cut off. I will just turn the key over!! THX Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alexander Douglas Kennedy on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:56 am:

I'm planning on pulling it after I get the rest of the car back together
otherwise I would once again have to much going on at once
My girlfriends dad has a favor to call on someone with welding equipment so I'm thinking about going that route
good news though is that the engine is now in and bolted up
and I've started on the wiring
and with school out early all week I've got time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:22 pm:

If you don't want to turn the key over, you could always just put your shoes on backwards. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:43 pm:

For 10 years I've been fighting this problem ... You guys are geniuses! I even thought of driving bare footed!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration