Dirt Roads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Dirt Roads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:38 pm:

How many of you guys take your T's down dirt roads? Our Model A is fully restored, so even though we live on a dirt road, we don't drive on them any more than necessary just to keep clean up to a minimum. The TT is not restored and we do drive it on dirt roads ocassionally, but it rides so rough, it's not an enjoyable experience and you feel like you're not doing the truck any favors shaking it to pieces. But since we got Karen's Touring Car, we have ventured down a lot of dirt roads in our area that we had paid no attention to before. We had no reason to drive down them. It's not a bad ride and the scenery is beautiful. Farm land (Mostly cotton and Vidalia® onions around here), old farm houses, even beautiful newer homes. I adds a whole new dimension to driving your old car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:39 pm:

That should have read "IT" adds a whole new dimension....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:48 pm:

Hal, I drive on dirt and marginal paved roads at times. My 24 is unrestored except for the mechanics. People seem to enjoy seeing a T used as it was meant to be. Have fun, KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:50 pm:

Hal

Sandy roads are all around me too. Great for T riding.....

North FL, sorta like South GA :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:14 am:

The ultimate Dirt road.

dirt
The Dempster Highway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:01 am:

Those are the roads the T remembers from its childhood. I like them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:08 am:

We drive our '25 coupe on dirt and gravel roads all of the time, even got into some mud a couple of times.The wife was afraid that we would get stuck, but hardly spun a tire. It is a driver, not a show car by any stretch. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:11 am:

In another thread I told about beating the traffic problem by living where the population of the whole county is only 30,000. There are lots of country roads, laid out mostly in one-mile squares. I find that the T, being high off the ground and going no more than 30 mph, kicks up very little dust. The only dust problem is from occasional passing modern vehicles. Sometime I'll shoot some video of the T on country roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Helinski on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 05:20 am:

First real drive I took in mine was through the woods and down gravel roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJbIi6vNd_4

I figure it can't be too much different from the roads back when they were new. Although mine is still in primer I don't think I'd hesitate to go down any gravel or dirt roads once it's painted. Banging through the woods I might think twice about.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:31 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:38 am:

When the roads are muddy you gotta be careful not to follow too close behind the T in front of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:33 pm:

I just hope that is mud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue WA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:29 pm:

Most of the roads near my home are paved but I have no qualms about driving my touring or speedster on gravel or dirt roads. Neither is pristine and a little dirt or nick won't hurt them. They were made to be driven. My coupe was in nice condition when I got it and I'll likely be more gentle with it when it sees dirt but that won't keep me from driving on pretty much whatever road I happen to encounter.

I understand folks who have beautifully restored cars wanting to keep them better than show room but that just doens't fit in my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:24 pm:

A few years ago my T buddy, the late Bill Younkin and I took a couple-hundred-mile trip to Dover, Ark. and back in our Model T's. We took the smaller scenic highways through the Ozark National Forest on the way down, and wanted to see something different on the way back. So we checked the map and decided on a route which included about 10 miles of "unimproved" Forest road. Not only was it unimproved, it was pretty much unmaintained at all. The road took off from the highway on the mountaintop and wound its way down a very steep washboard hillside to the river valley below. I was in the lead, and Bill followed in his T. After reaching the bottom and following the river on a lovely gravel road for a mile or 2, we made a "pit stop". Bill said, "If you could have seen how your car's rear end was bouncing down that washboard, you would have gotten out and carried your car down that hill." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:59 pm:

We go wherever our restored '27 Tudor takes us.

Gravel roads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:05 pm:

I've always felt that dirt and gravel roads feel about right in a T.

This was on the St Louis club's overnight tour in 2009:

d1

This was on the last Canyonlands Tour, but it was more sand than dirt:

d2

I guess this could be called the exact opposite of a dirt road, but it was fun! Kentucky Fall Foliage Tour in 2006.

d3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:31 pm:

THESE ARE AWESOME! :-)

Keep them coming! I am so going to take my roadster for a mud ride when it gets warm!!!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:33 pm:

51 Merc on dirt road
Dirt roads are the best. I even take my freshly restored 51 Merc down them. A little soap and water removes any dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:03 pm:

Gorgeous car Dan!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:14 pm:

Thanks Patrick,
The car was a fairly low mileage California car, some idiot hot rodder got and had it all screwed up. I was able to put it back to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:32 am:

I think the dirt or gravel roads are the most fun you can have in a T. This is a road that I drove for a ways on my way to the Hillbilly Tour a few years back.
fun road

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:54 am:

Dirt roads in New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:56 am:

Nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:38 am:

Winter hasn't even started yet, and I'm ready for it to be over so I can get the touring back out on the roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:43 am:

I not only drive on dirt roads, I prefer them! Mud is o.k. too. Bring it on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:49 pm:

The fun tours are those where we come off the paved roads and cross the country over the network of dirtroads crossing the fields and connecting the various farms:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:34 pm:

I always consider any dirt road an open invitation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:45 pm:

I've driven everything I own on dirt roads from the Model A's to a '58 Ford F-600.

I need to start carrying a camera with me on drives, after seeing everyone's shots, it makes me envious.

Dan- Nice looking Merc! I had a '52 Merc Convert for about 3 hrs in 1997. Traded it and some cash for a '62 Ford XL 390/375 tri-power convert. I got the better end of the deal as the Mercury needed a full resto, the '62 was drivable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:06 pm:

From the Portland Regional HCCA annual tour in Wallowa County, Oregon, August '08:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:38 pm:

Wow! A thread that we all seem to agree upon. I love it.

I feel that if you skip the dirt roads and driving in the rain, you're missing out on much of the fun that your car has to offer. I would never own a car that I held on such a lofty pedestal that I couldn't enjoy getting it dirty or even muddy!

p
p2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:48 pm:

We get the rain, but dirt roads are a little harder to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:57 pm:

How about speedsters on a dirt track in Rimbey, Alberta (May 2009)

Manny Cohen
Manny Cohen was the "winner"

Harry Lillo
Harry Lillo

Cliff Proctor
Cliff Proctor

Chris Brancaccio
Chris Brancaccio (my car was the "pace" car)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

This is a typical gravel road in the foothills of Alberta

Fall Tour 2009
Fall Tour 2009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:32 pm:

Eric, those trees are gorgeous! Ours seldom get that pretty. Maybe up in the mountians in the North end of the state, but not down here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

SD Tour:Low gas level, steep hill, dirt road, transmission reverse gear too tight...a bit of a problem.
Thanks for the help Larry Williams. Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 05:17 pm:

For some reason the picture didn't post. Try again

Dirt Road, Steep Hill, Low gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:34 pm:

As noted, the views are often best from dirt roads and I live them. I always have that part of my brain that wants to know if my open carb is sucking in all that dust and what is it doing in the engine? It can't be good. Was this part of the reason the engines back in the day had more frequent rebuilds than todays model Ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:45 pm:

Everyone has some nice pics of their cars on dirt roads. Snow is on the ground here in feet, so it will be awhile before I am on dirt roads again. Still nice to see so many people like to drive their cars on them.
Luke, thanks for the compliment. Next to T's, I like 50's Merc's the best. Your 52 was a very rare car.I have a 53 convertible I restored back in the 90's and still have it. The 62 with that engine is a real nice car also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 01:58 pm:

Here are some pictures of my driveway. Every time we go anywhere in any of our cars we take this 1180' of dirt and gravel road each way!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By frank B on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:20 pm:

Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley, some of T Club made the trek along with a few HCCSC members last year. What a great road on the way to Scotty's Castle ! !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 04:42 pm:

Old Ridge Route parallel to I -5 between Castaic and Grapevine. As you can see there are slides along the road.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

Dan, do you have a long, long trailer to go with your '53 convertible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf, Alpharetta, GA on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 04:50 pm:

Attached is a picture of our '13 T and my brother Alan's '13 T on the 2010 Deep South Reliability Tour. This tour was sponsored by HCCA and AACA and was based in Thomasville, Georgia. It was a great tour and we had the opportunity on two different days to drive on dirt roads.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:07 pm:

Jeff

I remember going to see that Ricky and Lucy movie with my parents.

The two things I remember the clearest were knocking down the cover over the driveway and Lucy's rock collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:09 pm:

woops Steve -- not jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:43 pm:

About 3 years ago a small town put on a Model A and T show. I won't drive on the freeways so we took the closest parallel road. It was about 30 miles and about half way there, the road was closed for construction of a 30" Water line. They had the road pretty well tore up with problems including losing two workers due to collapse.

It was about 7:30 Sunday morning, not a car in site, I slipped the Warford into underdrive and went on. There were many pot holes and ditches. I felt the truck smile and say " I know roads like this."

The day turned out to be a fine day. The road back was just as pleasant. I'm glad we went up River Road.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:58 pm:

Steve, No I don't have one of those trailers to go with my Merc. I did hear of one just like it 5 years ago. somewhere out west. If it was closer and cheap enough I might have been tempted. my Merc is the same yellow as the one in the movie. I viewed that movie a few times when I was restoring mine. One interesting thing about the movie is there was 2 different cars used, The Merc and a 53 Lincoln convertible that was tricked out to look like the Merc. If you look closely the picture you posted is of the Lincoln. I'm sure they needed the Lincolns extra power to get that trailer over the mountains.
That sure was a dirt road!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration