What is your favorite trailer winch?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What is your favorite trailer winch?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

So many brands, so many models.....
Which 12-volt winch to install in a new T trailer?
Looking for good quality. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:07 am:

I have a cheap one i have had 2 or 3 years in the box and its perfect.When i broke my crankshaft it only took 3 or 4 to push the car in the enclosed trailer. Any winch imho should have a control pendant so you can be where you need to be?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber, Spanaway, Wa on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:20 am:

I have an el-cheapo Harbor Freight Communist Chinese made one.
It has worked fine for about five years. I think it was about 40 bucks.
I even drug a '51 Chrysler up on my trailer with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 05:30 am:

Although the words "favorite" and "trailer" don't ever go together as far as I'm concerned :-), IF I bought a trailer and wanted to fit it with a quality 12 volt winch, I'd first head to an ATV dealership or preferably an ATV recycler (boneyard) and look for a used WARN ATV winch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:53 am:

Robbie, remember that you are dealing with a rolling load. If the tires are up, on a paved surface, you could lean against the car and move it. I would suggest a winch with at least 2500 lb capacity, the free wheeling option ( you are able to disengage the drum and pull the cable out to your load) and a pendant remote control. Speaking of cable, you should be mindful of cable capacity and the fact that the rated capacity of the winch is on the bare drum. Remote controls use three wires and the cord should be lengthened to allow you to control the winch from the load area. If hard wired, the addition of a 4-way trailer plug makes the winch inoperable with the remote removed. Warn, Superwinch and Ramsey are well-known domestically distributed brands with good parts availability.
A snatch-block (pulley) will double the winches capacity, halve the cable length and line speed.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:57 am:

Lee, some of the line speeds seem really slow. What variety has a quicker line speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:59 am:

Make sure that the remote control line is longer than the lead line you have hooked to the car, if you are using cable in the winch instead of strap. If the cable breaks you want to be outside of the circle that the cable could get to. That cable when under tension and breaks can cut pertty bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:11 pm:

I will be using a M1200 WARN on a receiver mount until I find a smaller one. HARBOR FREIGHT winches are junk right out of the box. I had one one a borrowed trailer and had to use a block just to pull my T on. Everytime I loaded it, the winch sounded like this was the last time. Bigger is better! w1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:12 pm:

This is the winch system we use in our new ambulance builds for the bariatric system. b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:16 pm:

more ideasw2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:17 pm:

My favorite "Wench" is about 5ft 2in and has blue eyes. She has no trouble pushing the car on the trailer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:59 pm:

LOL! I sure hope she doesn't read this...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young Maltby Washington on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:09 pm:

If you google Trailer winch you will see her---

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration