Something from Henry's friend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Something from Henry's friend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:40 am:

At an auction today I paid $2 for a pair of 78's. The records were of no interest. I bought them because of what they were in. The latest patent date on the back is November 5, 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:17 am:

So what are the records? Are they Edison Diamond Disc or something else?
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:56 am:

No, only a couple of Mercury polka records by Romy Gosz from the fifties. I got them just for the Edison sleeves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:27 pm:

Steve, The original diamond disc records were 1/4" thick. I have a diamond disc phonograph with two drawers full of Edison records. As you can see, my wife has it covered with her ceramic figurines, so I never play it. If you send me your address, I'll send you an Edison record to go in that envelope. They turned at 88 rpm and used a special needle so don't try and play it on a regular 78 rpm Victrloa or record player., Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:11 pm:

Jim, I think I actually have one or two somewhere. If I retire one of my projects will be sorting through everything and finding out where things are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:11 pm:

Here's one of my Diamond Discs- I just need the Edison player to go with them! I like the design of the sleeves you have Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:24 pm:

Record jacket according to your info would be for a Edison Diamond Disc record. The lateral Edisons were made in the later 20's till the end of Edison's record production on October 29, 1929.

Some say Edison contributed to the Depression ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:21 pm:

When I was a kid I swapped an Edison diamond disc player for a Fireside cylinder player, still have it. My brother still collects them and has over 2500 diamond disc records and I don't know how many other players and cylinders.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:41 pm:

The problem with Edison records is that they are made to be played only on the Edison machine. Likewise the other records could not be played on the Edison machine. Eventually the others won, because they were interchangeable. Unfortunately, many Edison records still in existance have been played on non Edison machines, and the grooves are worn out. The grooves were much finer on Edison than on Victor, Columbia or other machines. The cuts in the record move the needle vertically on the record (Edison) and the others' grooves moved the needle sideways. These differences existed because of patent rights. Edison would not share with the others.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:59 pm:

The others also won because Edison's machines were more expensive than the competition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:59 pm:

This thread got me to thinking-

It's surprising the number of old Ford people who also collect Edison stuff, have an interest in WW1 & WW2 stuff, amongst other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:41 pm:

My Edison looks just like the first one! I have to take off the oil lamp, ceramic Model T coupe and such to use it. My records are stored in lined vertical sleeve in the base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur J. Solie on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:13 pm:

One make of the early 20's players could accomodate either Edison or "Berliner" type recordings as the heavy mechanical pickup head could be turned 90 degrees. Thus allowing hill and dale or sideways motion. Im not certain of the make, but believe it was Grigsy-Grunow-Hinds. Art in Pahrump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:36 am:

Luke. It's because we like old mechanical things that we have to wind up to start. Model T's, phonographs, clocks, etc. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration