Today's Outing for Albert - Hay making

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Today's Outing for Albert - Hay making
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:28 am:

Well, not actually hay making, but more like hay hauling. Over 50 bales per load. Albert pulled with no strain and gave us a lot of fun in the sun not to mention memories for the McRae boys :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Mitchell on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:50 am:

Great pics, gotta love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:23 am:

I love to see them work. Good going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:18 am:

In my youth we baled what we called "square bales" such as shown, it has pretty well gone to "round" bales now. My first experience was following the mule as he walked in the circle for power to the hay press, they wouldn't let me ride, I had to walk behind. We hauled lots of hay in later years on a 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup, 30 bales were considered a ton, and we could get 30 bales on the pickup. We also built flat bed trailers out of old T chassis' like the one shown. I can think of fewer hotter jobs than stacking hay under a tin roofed barn in the hot summer time, it will break you out in a sweat. Good memories though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward, Mountain. Ont on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:40 am:

Someone posted a link before about the best use's for a "T" ,
This sums it up for me FAMILY TIME AND SMILE's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:11 am:

that is so sweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:35 pm:

Here's what Grady was telling about. In the foreground they're grinding corn, and in the distance the baler awaits. All they need is Adrian's TT to haul away the bales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:38 pm:

I love these "action" posts, hauling kids, hauling hay, and generally having fun driving the old truck around.

I'll bet Albert rode like a Cadillac with those bails on the back, and the engine refreshed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:53 pm:

Adrian, Great Pictures. It looks like you make Albert earn his keep. One question I have to ask. Do all New Zealanders dress as nice as you when they are making hay? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:43 pm:

Adrian, Nice to see your fine truck out working in the field, great memories for the boy's I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:46 pm:

From long experience hauling hay as a kid for our pocket money, I learned two things:
1) wear long sleeved shirts
2) wear long 'strides'
As these are not the usual dress for farm work you do look better dressed than usual :-)

Mind you this was just a 'hobby farm', so we only had about 250 bales to move.

Grady, remember that sweet aroma when packing the bales into the shed? It sure is hot, but that sweet grass smell brings back a lot of memories.

John, Albert sure does earn his keep. The folk at the local hardware supply now don't bother to hand me a 'token' for the barrier gate as they know I can't reach out of the cab. I get 'special' treatment and they open it for me :-)
Albert is handy for hauling home long lengths of timber - I just run them down the side of the cab and wrap a rag around them on the front fender.

On the flat yesterday I even had Albert cruising at 70 kph (43 mph). He sure runs a lot better since the engine re-fresh.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 04:03 pm:

Adrian,

It looks as though the whole family's having fun.

Great photos!

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:57 am:

That's great all around, Adrian. Great for you, great for the kids, and great for Albert!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:37 am:

Adrian,

Thank you for shairing those great photos of your family and the TT at work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:46 am:

Thank you all for the comments.

The small children would be wonderful kids to have, but they actually belong to my friend who owns the hobby farm. Solomon (the young lad on the truck) is a friend of my son, but tends to live around home anyway so probably rates as a family member anyway :-).
If you look carefully at the beginning of the youtube clip I posted of the event, you will see my latest 'T accessory' and family member peering out of the cab - "Sweet Pea" my Jack Russell pup.

Yes, I know the name sounds a bitt 'naff' - but teh more folk said it was a silly name teh more it stuck :-). A little better than the names of our budgue ('Bird') our cat ('Little Cat') and the late rabbitt ('Rabbitt').

(My kids are a little older, from 22, 20, 18 and 15).

Kind regards
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:57 am:

Adrian,I don't know what "Naff" means but I like the name. This is the first thing I thought of. :-) Again, Thanks for the great pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:05 am:

Divided by a common language again :-)
'naff' means a bit silly or in poor taste (Brit slang).

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M. C. Hawker on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:40 pm:

Does "naff" bear any resemblance to our term "He is a little daff", meaning a little off upstairs?

BTW, do you have an aux transmission besides the Ruckstell? Looked like the driver would have a dickens of trouble holding the "leap" pedal in that long!

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:14 pm:

Hi MC,
Never heard of 'little daff' before, but the meaning 'naff' is more along the lines of 'inappropriate' or 'sissy' or 'no taste at all by the person' such as 'his trousers are pretty naff' or a its a 'naff shirt'. The kind of thing any self respecting teenager would not want to be seen dead wearing :-)

yes I do have an aux transmission, but it only has over drive and direct, so you do need a strong left foot for long hauls!. Once out of the field you can drop in to Ruckstell low, and Ford high and then amble along slowly.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey, New Zealand on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:06 am:

Tony, I think that you may be referring to "daft" which is similar to naff. Daft means silly or foolish for example, "I think that your idea is daft."
Andrew

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration