Look what found laying around in a garage!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Look what found laying around in a garage!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:14 pm:

Do you need some help next time you go plundering thru garages?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:28 pm:

I hate it when that happens. Send it over and I'll dispose of it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:49 pm:

This one has both the ammeter and the volt meter. The name tag says Allen but I thought Allen only manufactured the meters not the testers. Is it a K R Wilson tester? Anybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:19 pm:

You lucky dog you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:23 pm:

Richard

Thanks Buddy, I new I left that darn thing somewhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 11:33 pm:

It's an Allen Electric tester. They are the most desirable brand to own and restore. Yours is arguably their second most desirable model. It's a very good find. The other popular Allen design has clever sparking arrangement that does away with the brake drum and has the sparks appear to be taking place in mid air as the crank is turned. That is the style that I have. I've been using it for several years now, and I very much prefer it to the Ford unit that I enjoyed previously. The top mounted coil box makes adjusting go much faster that the sideways and bottom mounted desing that many testers used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:20 am:

Thanks for the good natured kidding and valuable information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:39 pm:

Ok, its coming back to me. Jewell is the name of the meter and Allen the name of the tester. Eric is this the one you are referring to. It has a large single ammeter, Jewell actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:06 pm:

What do you think we might find if we go digging through Ron Patterson's garage? He probably has a dozen of these in there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:15 pm:

I'm looking for one of those! It's only a one day drive (in modern car) from here to Folsom. Let me know if you don't want to keep it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:46 pm:

Richard
Allen Electric, K.R.Wilson and Weidenhoff hand cranked coil testers had Jewell meters. There are several versions of the Allen Electric testers some with two meters and some with one meter. If you look closely at the two meter face plates you see the Jewell name with the Allen Electric logo. Most other HCCT's (the clones of Ford part number 18-Z-245) used Weston Electrical Instrument meters.
Here is a photo of an Allen Electric coil tester I recently restored for Bill Stipe.
The original Jewell meters were badly damaged, the result of the HCCT being dropped. I replaced the originals with Simpson Model 55 units and newly made bezels made by Bob Scherzer.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:53 pm:

I believe the other brand of large ampmeter is a Weston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:05 pm:

Very nice work, Ron

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration