Ebay bargin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Ebay bargin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:05 am:

Check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item =110621509926&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D5612001123237082341

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:15 am:

If you're into better-than-they-came-out-of-the-factory type Model T's it's probably not a bad asking price considering the hours and new parts that have gone into it. Very nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:39 am:

You can't look at a car like this without finding something that doesn't quite look right. I wonder what the "extra" hole is in the dash between the amp gauge and the mixture adjuster. Also I'm sure they could have found a better nut/bolt to hold the muffle to the frame.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:25 am:

Oooooh but wait, knock it....but I think we could all agree that this is one of the finest T's out there. Waaaay better that factory for sure but wow...the girls been done some justice.

And Jim that hole is for the mixture control. This is one of those 24's like mine that has the firewall stamped with 4 sets of holes for carburetor controls. Two up top for the conventional arrangement and the two below for the cowl mounted gas tank. He just put the mixture control in the wrong place and cut it short for some reason? Didn't use a swivel top either.

I have looked at some pics of supposed factory cars and it looks like some firewalls were actually stamped this way during the transition to the improved car. Maybe a miscount of body components or a mistake, dunno? But it seems Ford made them this way and they are not aftermarket firewalls. Might be something one could call limited but I doubt it, still a regular T.

Either way, this is a FINE car aside from the incorrect gorgeous paint job :-) The girl got a new dress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:03 am:

If you count up all the time at $50 per hour or more and all the parts and materials, this is probably what a complete restoration costs.

No dirt roads for this car.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:29 am:

This car and the 1886 Benz show what beautiful work they do at McPherson. This is one of those better-than-new cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:19 am:

So....here we go again....it's an August 1923 built car. Is it a 23 or a 24?!?!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:24 am:

That car looks to pretty to use, there is no gas in the tank, no dust on the frame, no feet prints on the floor matt. looks like a Danbury mint toy. It would take me months to get that looking right. 23 grand and they can't even fill the tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:26 am:

Will, that depends on whether you are talking Model Year or Calendar Year. That used to be a very big issue with some clubs and club members.

Several states were issuing titles by the time that car was new and the laws in different states were different. Some states only went by calendar year of manufacture and others only went by calendar year of sale, so any 1923 sold in 1924 would be a 1924.

I'll bet the guy still will not make a profit, even if the original car was given to him. Nice to look at all those beautiful pictures though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:34 am:

I'd buy it, if it can be shown as the one my Dad bought new in Western Nebraska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:06 am:

Poor, beat up old thing, musta been used on a rural mail route in Oklahoma.

Two things that I see wrong. I've not seen any original floor boards tha weren't painted? And...there are no accessories. Couldn't possibly be correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:44 am:

I guess now is as good a time as any to jump in. I am one of the instructors at McPherson College.
We are all very proud of how it turned out. We had approximately 50 different students work on it over a 5 year period.
Yes, it is over-done.
I am not sure about the extra hole in the dash, but I believe the swivel in the carburetor rod didn't start until 1925.
Yes, we could have found a better nut on the muffler.
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the wood. The inside the trunk never had paint on it as far as we could tell (wood included). That's why we restored it the way we did. Inside the trunk is this stamping, which we assumed to be the steel supplier.
Thanks for all the comments, and I'd be glad to try and answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny Thomason on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:46 am:

99A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:30 pm:

What a bargain. A 23 roadster for $27K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Jamison on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:29 pm:

This car sold at the RM Hershey auction last October. The funds went right into the auto restoration program at McPherson. I'm not sure why the buyer put it up for sale so quickly, but he's asking less than he has in it.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:47 pm:

Chris,

I would like to know the reason for the motivation to restore the car better that it ever would have came from Ford. :-) It looks fantastic but my curiosity has the better of me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:06 pm:

John,

Good question. We strive to give our students the best, and most "real world" experience we can. This includes "over-restoration" at times, as that is what many customers, clients, and owners desire.

We decided that after all the work that is required to fully restore a car, why not color sand and polish to what you see in the car mentioned. That is, after all, the only thing different from it left the Ford factory.

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:30 pm:

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:57 pm:

It's a beautiful car, no doubt about it. The AACA Senior Winner plaque speaks volumes.

Bruce said when they were origially organizing the MTFCA, they all agreed that the ideal restoration would be a car just as it left the assembly plant. But, he added, "in judging, the shiniest paint job always wins." :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration