Period Photo - New Zealand Fire Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Period Photo - New Zealand Fire Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:11 am:

The local fire engine from Greytown (in the North Island of New Zealand):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:28 am:

Is it a TT? Pretty thin spokes back there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:16 am:

Adrian, I wonder what happened to all those T's that you post pictures of? T's must have been the most popular vehicle there, as they were here, in the early years. The only time that I have been to New Zealand was in the mid 60's, when I was a teenager. I was surprised at the number of vintage cars still being driven, but certainly nothing as old as a T. The people we were guests of took us to see an elderly relative of theirs. When they found out that I liked old cars, they asked if I wanted to see one. I said, sure, and followed them out to a wooden single car garage by the house. When they opened the door to the unlit garage, I was amazed to see an unrestored Buick, about a 1913 or 14 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:23 pm:

I guess most of them just got used and used and used till they fell to bits, then ended up rusting away. A lot of NZ is close to the ocean, and has good rainfall, so things can rust away fairly quick. It always amazes me the great condition you can find things in in the middle of the USA.

For many years we had restrictive taxes and duties on imports, so it was a case of make do as long as you can. That accounts a lot for the survival of older vehicles for so long, and why we drove them long past scrap time in other countries.

The scrap man prowls around daily, and we lose a lot of stuff to the Chinese steel mills. But, he has cash and money talks....

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:48 pm:

Adrian, I find it interesting that all fire brigade photos, fire engine and brigade car photos I have seen which were taken in New Zealand have a standpipe. I have only seen one photo missing this detail and I suspect the standpipe was on the other side of the car.

This unit was aparently used to hook onto a water main. The hose was then attached to the standpipe. Here in the U.S.A. we use fire hydrants permanently installed by the side of the road instead.

I would dearly love to obtain an old New Zealand standpipe if anyone knows where one can be had!

I suppose I can make one if I can't find one. Someone once told me they are pretty common and inexpensively purchased in NZ, but that is a bit too far for me to walk to.

Thanks, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:08 am:

Another NZ fire engine:

Photo taken on a tour on the South Island in 2009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:41 am:

Hi Terry, yes all our hydrants are inset in the road and we don't have above ground hydrants like the US, so we still use standpipes today.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:54 am:

The scrap man comes and takes things without asking sometimes.... And if you ask for it back he laughs at you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:12 am:

How do the firemen find the standpipes?

On our morning hikes, my neighbor pointed out blue reflective markers on the streets, in seemingly random locations, always about two feet off the center line of the street. He had heard or theorized they were electronic detectors for government spying on certain people.

One day I found a loose one at a curb, so I took it home. He wasn't around, so I threw it in the back of his pickup, meaning to get together with him to dissect it. I forgot about it, and told him a week later. He went almost catatonic that this detector was following him everywhere, spying on him. He looked in the back of the pickup, and it was gone.

Not long ago, I learned those markers are aligned with fire hydrants at the curb. It no doubt helps the FD find hydrants in the fog. Imagine his disappointment at learning the simple truth..

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:13 am:

Umm, that first sentence should read, "find the inset hydrants."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:55 am:

HAHA! That's hillarious Rick :-) I KNOW SOMEONE LIKE THIS!

There's a neighbor (5 mile from me neighbor) who I'm told lines the inside of every ballcap, cowboy hat, etc with foil. Supposedly this is supposed to stop cosmic rays or something(???). He's always talking about conspiracy this or that, governments out to get you, black helicopters, blah-blah etc.
Anyway, earlier this year I had a local diesel shop set the injectors for my antiaircraft truck so I go for a test drive down the blacktop and plan on making a big square back to the house using the farm roads. His house is right by the dirt road I needed to turn to get back home, so I'm cruising along about 60mph and I know the ground shakes a little as I'm braking but not enough I'd think to notice it in a house. Man this dude comes running wide open out his door straight to the culvert of his front ditch, ducks down then turns around and runs completley opposite back to the woods behind his house all the time hollering. Kinda reminded me of the marsh rabbits that dart back and forth when I bush hog the briars around the edge of my pasture.
How people live in terror like that escapes me :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:42 pm:

Herb Bramley of the Long Beach, California Model T Club is a retired Long Beach City fire fighter ( note the p.c. wording )

He drove his fire truck to the annual Long Beach Model T Club Christmas party ( note that it was not a holiday party ) Herb has owned this fire truck for over 50 years. I painted a portrait of it 50 years ago and it now hangs in the Hall of Flame in Chicago. The Wrigley family purchased the painting from me when they saw it at one of my art showings.

The machine had solid tires on it when Herb purchased it and he put nicer riding tires on it for comfort. He had new solid tires made for the rears he is looking for two solid front tires. Please contact me if you have any leads. Herb is not on the internet. That is Herb in the upper left corner with the light blue hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 05:53 pm:

Patrick - ....your "anti-aircraft truck".....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:07 pm:

Slide the cannons off and it's the best farm truck ever :-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/EZPLDVK1.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Pictur e004.flv
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=DSCN01 65.flv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:31 am:

i like the anti aircraft truck but the other story reminds me (not trying to throw this too far off topic or anything) but i found a plastic thing in my car that looks like one of those things they have on things in shops to stop you stealing them. If you see the pictures it has some metal foil in it to pick up the radio waves that power it much lke a crystal set but without the earth wire attached. i wear the heavy gloves to avoid you seeing my fingerprints in the pictures. Why do i not hold it with the back of my hand? Because if i did you might find me by the scars on the back of my hand
plastic thingplastic thing with foil in it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:56 am:

HAHAHAA!!!!! :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:25 am:

Here are some pics of a T firetruck I saw in Brisbane Australia.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5197453412/in/set-72157625457141016/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5196871473/in/set-72157625457141016/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5197470330/in/set-72157625457141016/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5196855211/in/set-72157625457141016/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration