OT - Period Photo - Fordson at Work

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: OT - Period Photo - Fordson at Work
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:25 am:

I just liked this picture of as Fordson at work (from Library of Congress):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:33 am:

What a great old picture! Even with a tractor and other machines it was still hard work.

I bought a Case NL haypress several years back with the intention on half using it for display and half working it (I use antique Farmall tractors). I remember the first time my gramps saw it...he looked at it, shook his head and walked away. He said "The hell with that boy if you think I'm gonna sit on the back of that, not with what's available today!" He was a good old man and he cracked me up constantly :-)

I like it, even though it's slow and I gotta shut down to tie the bale it's kinda fun. I suppose I'll keep it and one day when I have a wife and kids I'll trick them into forking and tieing bales if they fall for it lol :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James C. Eubanks on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:41 pm:

If that tractor is doing what I think, winching out stumps, there are some folks really in the line of fire should that cable break on either end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:42 pm:

Patrick,
Are you talking about "punching wires"?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:09 pm:

It looks like Brute Force and Punishment!! I really enjoy the look and have 2 questions?? I hope there is a Big Stump in front of the Fordson to hold it and i wonder why they cut those stumps so short and lost there leverage?? I once tryed winching stumps with a T-9 International cat on a job that was too wet to push and dig.Can anyone immagine the look on those boy's faces to see a modern excavater rip those stumps out?? Bud. PS,With modern Improved Plow Steel cable you will see a puff of smoke where the cable is going to break and if your good you can get off the power before the broken cable fly's!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:37 pm:

Yep Herb :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration