What is the proper oil capacity of the crankcase.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What is the proper oil capacity of the crankcase.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:10 pm:

I was adding oil to my empty crankcase and, for some reason, recall that the oil should be 1/2 way between the lower and upper petcock, but I also read where it should be 4 quarts. I just put in three quarts and, according to my oil sight gauge, the level is exactly between the the two petcocks. Should I put in another quart? Should the level be higher than halfway between the lower and upper petcocks, like perhaps 2/3 up the tube? I don't want to get it too full and have oil start leaking out the small vent hole on top of the sight gauge. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:23 pm:

Jim. 4 quarts to where it just runs out of the top petcock. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:27 pm:

3 1/2 litres;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:45 pm:

I have seen people state it should be "1/2 way" between, but then I've seen where it should be "Maintained" between the upper and lower pet cock. I subscribe to the the latter and have to wonder if the former was just a poor interpretation of the latter? I fill mine to where it just runs out of the upper and don't bother adding until it does not run out the lower. As a matter of fact, sometimes, I wait until it won't run out the lower then just add a quart and don't bother checking the upper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

For us Americans, that's 3.69 Quarts. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:52 pm:

I've always wondered how you coud keep the oil level "1/2 way between". What I remember learning, and what I do, is fill it to the upper petcock. then, as lomg as there's oil in the lower petcock everything is OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:22 pm:

My plan is to keep it above the top petcock. Four quarts will put it there. When oil no longer comes from the top petcock I add a pint. This may contribute to more leakage but I'd rather have her leaking than starving. Just my $.02, your mileage may vary. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:55 pm:

I just fill it until it runs out the top petcock, and then when I check the oil, I open the bottom one. If it runs I don't add oil, if it doesn't run, I add a quart. If it still doesn't run out the bottom I add another quart. That also means I waited too long between checks. It's important not to wait too long between checks. I check it before each time I drive it. If I am on a multiple day tour, I check each morning before I start it. The first time you pour oil in your car using a sight gauge, open the top petcock, and fill until oil runs out. Then note the position on the sight gauge. That will give you an idea of how much oil is in the car. Actually the sight gauge should show it at the same level as the top petcock. After I install a rebuilt engine, I drive about 500 miles and change the oil. Then I change after I take a week tour. If I don't take a week tour, I change about once a year.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:48 pm:

If it's not coming out of the top petcock you need more. I never even check the lower one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:59 pm:

Norman brings up an important matter. Being an old farm boy, I was taught that you NEVER start any equipment for the first time in a day until you have checked all fluid levels, the tires, and lubricated (with a grease gun) all fittings. Of course, we get pretty far away from that with our modern cars. However, I have applied the old standards to the ol' truck. Serves me well, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:05 pm:

Forget "halfway in between"; no one can determine that exact level without a sight gauge or dipstick. Add oil until it starts to flow (not just drip) out the top petcock. More oil is better than less.
By filling to the top it gives some reserve for oil lost from leaks and burning during the day's driving. Plus it's a good thing to have extra for hill climbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 02:53 am:

I've always bought my oil in the 1 gallon plastic bottle. It seems to be just about enough to have oil dripping out of the top petcock.
Don't be stupid like me, read the bottle. They're making these new fangled 5 qt "EZ Change" bottles, since most modern cars hold 5 qts with a filter.
Luckily for me it was the oil change where I was installing my dip stick kit. When finished and checked the oil with the stick, the oil was way above the marks on the stick? Being 'old and confused' I figured the dip stick was probably "made in China" and it was marked in liters, so I re marked it. It was only as I was cleaning up and read the bottle, that I figured out what was going on. I took an empty 1 qt can and drained out 1 qt. The oil was then right where it was supposed to be on the stick, which would have been just above the level of the top petcock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 08:02 am:

Jim:
IMO, fill it just barely to the top of the sight glass as it will immediately go down as soon as you start the motor and stay around halfway while it is running. Most of us buy oil in the 4 or 5 quart plastic jugs so it doesn't matter so much how much oil you put in as it does the oil level. I think the oil level gauges do a good job as long as you make sure that you have a working vent. What size hole did you drill for a vent hole?
Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 08:15 am:

Needs to be oil coming out of the top petcock or I add more. Takes a little over 4 quarts on a new engine.

If you are changing the oil, it takes exactly one gallon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:18 pm:

I agree with all those saying fill it until it drips out of the top petcock.
It is a splash lubrication system and I want to meake sure there is lots of oil in there to splash around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:26 pm:

IMHO it should always flow out of the top petcock. Remember that the oil also cools the engine and the transmission. The less oil the less cooling.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:33 pm:

I wonder if there is some way a filter could be created? Maybe not a filter in the sense of one of the modern ones but like a screen?

I have a lint screen under the tranny cover of my roadster but that only really catches magnetic debri and such. I was thinking about making a spacer to fit above the trans screen. This spacer would have a slot on one side that would allow you to slide a small tray in and out of (similar to the crumb tray on a toaster) and it would be lined with a fine wire mesh or filter that allows only .002" particles through.

It would be a small measure but oil would be filtered gradually.

Or do we really even need to worry about soot and such?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:47 pm:

When all else fails, read the instructions! oil driping out the top peacock.
Didn't someone post on another thread some time back, that over filled oil makes the motor run hotter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:59 pm:

There is no filter that will fit on a stock T which does the same thing full flow filter on the modern car does. The screen on the top of the transmission helps catch lint and particles, but only a portion of the oil goes through it. Some will always go directly to the transmission or down the tube to the front of the engine or into the rear main bearing so the oil should be changed often. Too much oil would actually help keep the engine cooler, however, after a certain amount, it could cause a drag on the engine and overheat it. Filling to the top petcock is enough.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration