Does anyone know the magneto post nut size?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Does anyone know the magneto post nut size?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 01:32 pm:

I lost the dern nut on my magneto post and none of the nuts in my arsenal of nuts will fit. Does any one know, offhand, the size and thread count on this nut? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:57 pm:

Don't lose the nut. It is an obsolete size 12-24, that nobody carries. I went to Lowe's to get a nut that fit and nothing did. They jump from 10-24 to 1/4-20 and the 10 was too small and the 1/4 too big. Luckily, I have an antique tap and die set that confirmed that it was a size 12-24, so I had to take an undersized 10-24 brass nut and a 12-24 tap and make a 12-24 nut to fit my mag post. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:01 pm:

McMaster Carr has 12-24 nuts in steel, SS and Brass.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts/=a4rlta

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:03 pm:

I buy 12-24's, and don't have a problem. They are about 1/32" thicker than the originals. We supply them with the mag posts we make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:11 pm:

We have 12-24 around here... You should try a regular hardware store. Lowe's, Home Depot, etc generally have a pretty poor hardware selection.

Try Ace hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:13 pm:

I have run into some problem bolts lately and the hardware store came up short.
3/16ths bolts used to be common.They aint no more.
I also learned that metric bolts on cars are the uneven numbered sizes and the hardware carrys the even numbers,as in 10-12 mm.The auto uses 11-13 and so on.I also learned the big tap and die set from harbor freight dont cover the odd size metric bolts,only the even sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donavan L Keil on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:35 am:

1/4 24 taps are available in most hardware stores. You will find them in the heli coil area. They are used to tap the hole for a smaller 24 tpi screw. a bit expensive, but available in most locations.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration