It's dress up time . . . . non T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: It's dress up time . . . . non T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:50 pm:

We purchased a 1999 quad cab Dodge 250 Diesel with all the bells and whistles new on January 3rd 1999 and have had great success with it all these years. We like to say that it is just broken in. When it was less than a year old we installed a full blown Banks turbo system and get 34 pounds of boost. We left the decals off of it and it is rather stealthy as it chugs along.

The grills and air inlets in the bumpers are two tone gray phenolic plastic and are very Plane Jane. The plastic has oxidized and is rather chalky and can no longer be cleaned up with the fancy cleaners.

We looked on the internet and found that for $500 we could get some nifty after market billet grill guards and air inlet castings that would really dress it up. But I am a Model T guy and think cheap most of the time so take a look at what I did. The cheapest replacement parts were $500 so I moved the decimal point two places to the left and used some of that Rust-O-leum paint fondly spoken of on this web site. Viola - look below to see what you can do to an old truck with some masking tape and a rattle can for under five bucks.

before

after

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:02 pm:

Frank,

Looks Great, good idea. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:41 pm:

That would hurt Henry's feelings to know that you are pulling a Ford with a Dodge!
Norm :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:22 pm:

Paint is paint but how do you get a old Cummings to quiet down?? Bud in a semi quiet Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris Big Bear Lake, California on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:28 pm:

But Norman, Henry had the Dodge brothers make parts for him early on. We have had several T's with D B parts.

Ford owns a big part of Cummins and sold the right to Chrysler to use the Cummins Diesel in the Dodge and not use it in the Ford. So, for many years Ford used International Harvester Diesels. I don't know what they use today, but they don't use Cummins. That is why I use a Dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:46 pm:

Ford uses International & Cat motors now.

Back in the day they had Detroit & Cummins motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:12 pm:

Ford has an all new in house designed and built 6.7 diesel for 2011,
and a new tranny to match.
If it lives up and holds up to the advanced hype thatís out there,
it should be a solid performer.
Itís already bringing out negative comments from the Ford haters driving
their Duramax and Cummings powered rigs Ė So the war goes on!

http://2011forddiesel.com/

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 06:29 pm:

Henry would be saying ďI Told You SoĒ
if he read the following from the link above . . .

The oil pan, which bolts to the transmission, also acts as a structural
member for improved powertrain stiffness and adds to Fordís legacy
of virtually bulletproof lower-engine architecture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:16 am:

I'm kind of cheap too. The plating on the radiator shell on my car was worn out so I bought a couple cans of chrome paint and a can of clear and painted it. The lower shroud didn't have a nickel edge on it, so I just masked it off and gave it one. It might not be Kosher but it looks a lot better than it did.

I think my car was supposed to have nickel plated headlight rims from the factory. I haven't bothered to scrape off the paint to see what's under it. One of these days, I might paint them to match the radiator and the bumpers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:35 am:

Dennis, around here aluminum paint is known as Oklahoma chrome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:48 am:

I guess down here we would call it Redneck Florida Chrome. Black just wouldn't have looked right with that Maroon paint job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:25 pm:

The grill on the '39 pickup was awful, so it got a coat of silver argent, sort of took the urgency away from finding a replacement. Dad also "created" the hood ornament.

39 chevy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:51 pm:

Dolores,

That is one nice truck!!!! :-) Actually there all nice!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration