Jacking up a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Jacking up a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:51 pm:

I read on here befor not to jack up a T on center pot of the rear end just wonder why.Claton asked last week in a threat with no response. thanks Ross from Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:19 pm:

Ross

I do it occassionally... no harm to the later strong cast iron pumpkins. But, the chassis is kinda tipsy that way....better support to lift one side at the end of the housing. Doing the center section lift is ok for say adjusting the brake rods when you need both wheels off the ground.

But if its an early '09-'11 then nope, too easy to perhaps wreck the thin press metal shells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:49 pm:

It may not be likely, but there's a possibility of bending the axle housings. It's better to jack up one side, near the wheel, put in a jack stand, then do the same on the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Mahoney on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 02:39 pm:

Apologize in advance for this slightly off-topic question: has anyone used a two-post car lift to do under vehicle work? If so, what points did you contact on the frame and where is the center of gravity (longitudinally) of the vehicle?

Thanks!

Ted M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Mittrucker on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 06:08 pm:

It is possible to bend the axle tubes by jacking it up by the center.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash - South Hill, Virginia on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:00 pm:

Ted, Yes I had special made extentions for my lift. It is "clumsey" (?sp). I have a tudor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Mahoney on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:12 pm:

Lewis, interesting. I'll have a 1914 touring once it's back together. Would be nice to use the lift for some things. Did your extensions just grab the frame rails? Any pix of extensions? Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration