Model T tread width ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Model T tread width ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:49 pm:

I would like to install "guide rails" made from 2x4's on the floor of my new enclosed trailer.

(I understand that "southern T's" had a wider track but I don't think that applies to my cars).

Are Model T track widths the same front and rear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

Yes, 60 inch tread width.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

Are we saying that standard T's are 56" outside of the tread or centerline of the tread?

Are they the same front and rear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:30 pm:

How wide is a Model T outside of tire to outside of tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:50 pm:

Robbie,

My 21 Runabout measures right about 61 inches from outside of tire to outside of tire.

Of course the car measures wider at the fenders.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:34 pm:

Thanks Orlando!
The reason for all of my questions is that I have an upcoming road trip to pick up a T. We are trying to plan the trailer setup. Obviously, we will not bolt anything down until we get the car loaded. Depending on weather, we might load the car, get the position right and mark the exact tire locations - then attach some fixtures.

Unless somebody tells me otherwise, Model T track width is the exact same front to rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:31 am:

Robbie,

I built four wheel chocks from scrap pieces of 2x4's and a 4x4 I had. I screw them down to the trailer's wood floor, the front ones permanent so when the car rolls in it stops exactly where it needs to be every time I load it.

They're not store bought but they work pretty good for me.

I also strap my car down front and back when I haul it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Williams on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:51 am:

Thanks Orlando!
Something like that is what I would like to do in my new T hauling trailer.

If I install a 2x4 guide rail from front to back then I need to know if the wheel track is the same front to rear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration