Opinions Please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Opinions Please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:28 pm:

I was delighted to find a Runabout that had been disaasembled and stored in a garage, perhaps as early as 1969. The sheet metal is very nice, requiring no work, the frame is perfect, and it has nice demountable wheels that will be quite serviceable. Most of my renovation work, I hope, will involve the upholstery, and top bows and material.

In the re-assmbly process I will need to source a few components and would like to place an order with just one supplier. My inclination was to add up the parts costs from each of the major retailers and simply go with the one with lowest overall price. I have realized that is probably shortsighted and I should ask the experienced users of this forum their for their opinion of the best suppliers of T parts. So, who do buy from when you need small parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hunt Dowse on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 02:35 pm:

Dennis:
Nice find! Since I'm within driving distance of Lang's, I tend to use them most of the time. Snyder's has also supplied many parts for my rebuilding tasks on my '23 runabout. Those are the two I use and I have had excellent results from both. I've gotten to know some of the folks at Lang's and was even told it was OK to "browse" in the trailer of used demountable rims so I could find a good one, which I did. Have a good time getting your car together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 02:55 pm:

Snyders is closer to me, but still a bit far. Like those folks a lot. But the Langs people did find me some scarce used parts a couple of years ago that no one else seemed to have. Macs has a most infomative catalog and I also appreciate that aspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:16 pm:

I don't know your location Dennis, but for me on the other side of the world, "Chaffins Garage" have been the stand-out best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

Again, because they are closer to me, I went first to Chaffins Garage. They have been very helpful and I keep going back. They are a lot closer to me than they are to Rob Patterson!
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:23 pm:

Well Doug, you know what they say about the best laid plans... = probably a couple of follow-up orders for the bits you didn't know you needed :-)

I have found Langs and Snyders very good. Macs have been good too. Chaffins never ever got back to me on my queries (repeated - and with calls) so I can't rate them, but several others have been very pleased with their service.

All the best and good luck with the restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:50 pm:

I use primarily Lang's and Snyder's. Ocassionally, I will use Smith and Jones. It just depends on what I'm looking for. Lang's catalog is about the same size as Snyders, but contains only T parts where Snyders is A and T. My gut tells me that means Lang's has a better variety to choose from, but I've never actually counted the number of parts in the catalog. Why narrow it down to only one vendor? Shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

All vendors, being human, are subject to occasional error. But I've had good experiences with Lang's, Bob's, Snyder's, and Chaffin's. Mac's catalogue is great for the illustrations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:58 am:

I don't know where you are located but in Kentucky, I use B J Miller. He is just outside of Cinncinati. Not only does he have parts but also a complete antique rebuilding machine shop. Good folks to deal with and a fellow tourer. His name and address is located in both magazines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:53 pm:

I'll put in a word for MAC's. I bought most things for my restoration from them and found them to be Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind- you old boy scouts know the rest. I have nothing but praise for them.

That said, I have used most of the other suppliers with equally excellent results.

Thanks, suppliers-we should never take you for granted- what a difference from my last restoration- a 65 Plymouth Barracuda before the days of the internet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:07 pm:

Obedient,Cheerful,Thrifty,Brave,Clean,and Reverent. I too use Mac's, Snyder's and Lang's and have had good results with all of them. I wish them all a prosperous New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin Cooke on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:07 pm:

Langs has been great in my speedster build. They have trailers full of used parts as well. Very helpful and good prices especially on used stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:13 pm:

Dennis: I have dealt with all the companies mentioned. I, however just finished a 1917 Depot Hack. Most of the parts came from Lang's except for the replacemt wheels and rims, and they came from Model T Haven in Iola Ks. As the saying goes make a list of what you think you will need and check it two or three times, because you will find something that you overlooked, and it may be a critical item. I know been there, done that. Best of luck putting back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:14 pm:

OPP"S forgot to say Dennis, I lve in Northern California a long way from Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:42 pm:

Lang's and Chaffins. Good places to do business. Also MAC's. I haven't used the others, but also haven't heard complaints about them. Thanks for supplying our parts. I hope the recession hasn't hurt you much.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 09:08 pm:

I've only dealt with Lang's so far, but both orders arrived well before I expected and shipping charged was less than the website estimated. Quality was top notch.
I have also visited BJ Miller as his shop is very close to me. Great guy and gave me a short tour of his machine shop. Unfortunately, they weren't pouring babbitt that day. :-(
I did pick up 4 new coils and a few other spare parts while I was there. Car never ran better than after that visit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:32 am:

I use to buy everything from Snyders, excellent service, but when they charged me 14.00 shipping on one timer,I switched to Langs. I found Langs shipping charges a lot less expensive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bell on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:15 am:

I use to spend a lot with Snyders but as Dan has said the 10-15 Handling charge adds up after a while, so I have switched to Gaslight and lang's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:42 pm:

We make some,but ours are made to last. If you want to be that much of a purist,you can ride with your windows down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dolittle--United States of America on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 03:01 pm:

There is not a bad one in the bunch and if price is your only consideration then go to their respective websites, build the shopping cart, get the price. Then buy. You don't need this forum to hear a few gripes, when the majority here are satisfied a stay tight-lipped.

We need the vendors. The gripes should stay between the disgruntled customer and the vendor. It should be a private matter and Facebook might be the medium of choice if you are really PO'd.

That is my opinion anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 03:07 pm:

Frankly in my humble opoinion, trying to get a total of the parts you need and ordering 1 time for 1 low price may be a good theory but in reality,not going to work.
Sure as the sun rises 3 parts you order will be on back order,2 will be sent but wrong,and then when you are just about finished,there will be 2 pieces that broke when you dropped a box of parts and you will be back on the horn again.

Order parts for each part of the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 04:42 pm:

My advice would be to order enough parts to do part of the restoration. Get one section or groups of parts done than do another. Buying all at one time sometimes turns out spending way to much money before checking closely what you really need.
Just thinking that all new is the best way may not be the wisest way unless you have big pockets full of money.
More than a few of the parts only need a good cleaning or straighting. Unless you have a lot of free time or dont have to work it usually will take longer than you think. Take your time and really evaluate things closely.
You will have done a better job and will be better off in the long run.
You didnt mention tires as I recall and my advice is to buy new tires and tubes unless some one before had installed some already.
Two things thats all most a must for a good reliable T is a good radiator and good tires.
Those are 2 items you cant just "get by" on.
HAVE FUN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:23 pm:

John, as I brought up shipping costs; I assumed your response was directed at my post. The title of this post is ďOpinion's PleaseĒ. Dennisís concern was to shop for the lowest price. One of the reasons for this forum is to help each other. In my post I said my service from Snyderís was excellent, which it always was. Iím not trying to trash them in any way. I felt $14.00 to ship one timer was excessive. I did contact them about it. As I said in post, I found Langís shipping less expensive. Why would one stay tight lipped about this, when one of the members of this forum is looking for advice concerning expense? As far as a gripe or being disgruntle goes, Iím not. Snyderís has done a lot for this hobby. Its there business they can charge anything they want for their services. If I need something, and canít get it else where, I will buy from them again. Probably the best way to sort this out is, before you order from any supplier, ask what their shipping and handling costs are. You can then figure what your total order expense will be, then compare and decide who to order from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 10:46 pm:

I have only bought from Langs so far but only because I had a list of parts in front of me when I called them that I was going to order to rebuild an engine. I had looked up each part in several venders books and was going to order some from Langs and then some from the next vender and so on to save big bucks over all. It would have cost a little more in shipping to order from 3 places but the money I would have saved would have made this up. When I told the voice on the phone I was done with my order I was asked about a part that I would need to go with something I had asked for and I said that I had found it at a better price. Then I was told that Don Lang might be able to match the prices of the others if I wanted to order the rest from him. I then gave them my whole list and the prices from the other venders and after they checked it out I got everything at the lower prices. This saved me even more in shipping and made me decide Langs had my business. I have never had any problems with them and was very happy to get to meet Don in Richmond Indiana for the 100 year T party.

I would almost bet others would also do this if you ask but I have never had to ask anyone else :-)

I don't know who the voice was but it could have even been Trish at that time. Who ever it was, I want to thank them as money is very hard to come by for me.
Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration