Model T Town Car body plans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Model T Town Car body plans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:04 pm:

Does anyone know of a source for plans to build a Model T Town car on the T chassis? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 08:58 pm:

Steven,

While not a direct fit for the Model T, there are a few Ford Factory drawings available for some of the body bracket, hinges, bows etc parts for the 1908 Model S Ford landaulet (town car without the cover over the driver). The T is a slightly longer car but the body style for T landaulet and towncar clearly can trace it's roots to the Model S. There is documentation of at least two Model S Landaulets made. Below is a drawing of the Model S Laundalet:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:17 pm:

Why would the driver be left out in the open? I know many limo's are built like this, I fail to understand it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:35 pm:

It's a flaunting your status thing. The Queen sits inside and the peon driver sits out in the weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:36 pm:

They like watching the driver get wet or sunburnt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:38 pm:

I believe that this body style was offered in the T, but none were built.

My memory is falliable.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:04 pm:

Must have made at least one!

These pics are from Jan 6, 1909 Horseless Age magazine with coverage of the NY Auto show where the new Model T was displayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:07 pm:

Carriages like this go back probably hundreds of years. It'd be awkward to drive horses from inside a cabin.

The early Boeing planes had the pilot in open cockpit, while the paying passengers were somewhat comfortable inside the cabin.

Laborious brass polishing more or less went away with the chauffeurs, who were occupied with that while waiting for the master.

This is why I would never have a T Towncar. I can't afford a chauffeur, and I won't be the lackey while the wife sits queenlike inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:59 pm:

"This is why I would never have a T Towncar. I can't afford a chauffeur, and I won't be the lackey while the wife sits queenlike inside"

HAHAHAA! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:21 am:

Hey, wait a minute... I kind of like that one... sort of eliminates the "back seat driver' syndrome! Ha.. make her slide around and she can't even complain! Lock the doors and you could even slip in the bar for a beer! "Hey Sweetheart! Off for a beer.. oh! Did I forget the keys for the back?? Oops...! I'll be RIGHT back!!"

Of course that is only for those that can't see the future....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable Kiama Australia on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:06 am:

Ralph, you are right there can be a lot of brass to polish. As wives are actually "navigators" they are required sit out front with the driver. The back doors do lock (early ones) they have the hook in the door lock which only allow the door to be opened from the out side if used. So you could go for that beer, if you are game!!

As a body though they are very practical, you can lock the kids/grandkids in the back and its completely closed for wet weather or have the rear section of the roof open in good weather open the windows and slide up the windscreen and its a very open car, The wife does object to the fixed roof which means you are always in the shade on cold days that bit of sun can make traveling a bit warmer.

Steven, if you look at the Town Cars now restored you will see there are many differences in actual style they all vary a bit. Pick one if you are fussy but the easiest way to get building is to find one close to you and ask if you can take photo's and measurements if you consider you can build one. If not you can have one made- Ray Wells in San Diego is probably the best to contact. There is also a Town Car club of sorts its become inactive since Don Watson its originator retired from being the editor A former member would have the magazines again if one is close they would help you I'm sure.

If you do a search on the forum here you will find information about Town Cars in various locations in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:33 am:

The Ford records indicate a total of 300 landaulets were built. 298 in 1909 and 2 in 1910. This is another of the rare body styles. There is a 1910 landaulet in process of being restored right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:58 am:

Here's a sweet one in central FL. Rather spectacular restored car, body made by a Canadian craftsman, using some original patterns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

Always nice to hear from Peter Kable in Australia who built a beautiful 1911 version of a Towncar,how about some new photos Peter for us Towncar Fans.
Peter is correct in that I retired from being Editor of the Towncar Club Newsletter "ABOUT TOWN" as I figured the Club needed some new blood and ideas,but it was taken over by a New Editor Curtis Buck (buckcurtis@hotmail.com)the Club is in suspended animation as Curtis had a house fire and is slowly rebuilding his house,however Curtis has a number of back issues which survived the fire.
If someone wanted to step forward as a temporary editor I'm sure Curtis would be pleased as punch.The Club with 40+ members has a wealth of information on various members projects that need to be reported upon and a backlog of other information.
Dan is correct in that a 1910 Landaulet is in the works,I might add that a 1909 2-Lever is also in the works.
The 1909 Towncar photos in this post belongs to Jack Mahaffey in Florida and was built for Jack by Peter Douma in Ontario.Peter is now in a nursing home.
Thankyou Dan for the photos taken at the 1st US showing of the Model T Dec 31,1908 in NY I had seen these photos before ,but we now know to give credit to Horseless Age Jan 6,1909 -we will update our files.
If you look real close in the 3rd photo you will see the equally rare Model T Coupe.I might ad that all of these cars are 2-Levers.
Thankyou to all of the Forum readers for posting photos of Towncars they run across especially photos taken back in the day.We are always looking for period photos.
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 04:33 pm:

Also worth noting in the Exhibition photos is the Light Gray runabout with its color-matched top. Not sure that non-black tops were ever offered, but it looks sharp. Note that all of the display cars are wearing headlights, and that the Runabouts and Tourings are fitted with windshields, neiher of which would have been standard for these 09 models.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:11 pm:

What would all the T's in that photo be worth today in that condition???

Like the Holy Grail of Models T's.

Wow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:17 pm:

Here is a very late Model T Town car.

custommade car

I think it was on ebay, I used to save alot of the auction pictures.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 08:34 pm:

Howard,

I have always liked the looks of that one. It's really good looking even if it's a custom job, looks like it should have been a body type offered.
Good use of a touring front clip.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:51 pm:

Howard;
That looks like a '26-'27 Touring cut off with a '20 coupe body on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:50 pm:

Here's another, made to replicate an aftermarket towncar, built to the exact details shown in the original sales literature from the body mfg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:34 am:

Dan, Thank you for posting a photo of my replica fisher bodied town car. Now on the bay, there is an orginal Briggs body add that shows a lot of detail of the aftermarket body they offered for the model T. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:33 am:

Another town car a 1913 town car 1913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:40 pm:

This car was shown at Pebble Beach in 2003:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven G. Williams on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:45 pm:

Thanks to all for your replies. That Landaulet sure is a unique looking car! Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll follow up on your information. Regards,
Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 01:33 am:

That late model black one with the whitewalls could be a Brewster body. I think I have seen that before, I'll go digging in the bookshelves.....
Chris M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:20 pm:

Chris:

The 26/27 town car is a fantasy body of recent creation (it is the marriage of two stock bodies).

It has been discussed on this forum in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 01:40 am:

Yep, now I look at it as obviously a '26 -27 and Rolls Royce bought Brewster in '26 it would be unlikely.
But very much in their style, and a nice looking car.
Chris M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 01:41 am:

So, d'ya reckon someone put half a Fordor on the back of a Touring?
Chris M.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration