Power output is the same for the improved cars right?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Power output is the same for the improved cars right?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:46 pm:

Power output is the same for the improved cars right? I've been looking for a 26-27 power unit for the frame I have that I want to build a Ford FT-B on and I was under the impression that it put out a little more power. Is this not so? I know the running gear year would be incorrect for this but it's what I have on hand, I have no earlier frame, just mid production stuff mostly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:55 pm:

What's an FT-B?
The '26-27 engine did not have a power change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

The 26-27 block and hogshead bolt together making a more rigid assembly. On earlier units there was no connection between the block and hogshead. The 26-27 crankshaft is a little more rugged (less puny might be a better description).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:09 pm:

OK So it is still a better idea to go with a 26-27 power unit. I like the larger brake drum because the steel plate will weigh a bit.
Thanks much! I did some searching here and online and couldn't find a definitive answer. Some places rate the early T @ 20-21hp and the improved car @ 25hp?

Here are links to some posts about it.
http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/3196.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/95096.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:32 pm:

Patrick, I know you have a frame, but I read through the old threads and someone mentioned using a shortened TT chassis. I went and looked at one the other day in Ennis, TX. Shortened TT chassis with an aux tranny and I think it had a 26-27 powerplant. If not, I know there was one of those there also. He has an ad on the classifieds. About an hour drive from me, close to Tyler. An hour or 2 from Shreveport. Pretty far down in the ads, Keith Jantz is the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:54 pm:

HAHA! Actually I just contacted him yesterday Corey! He just sent me pics tonight! What he has looks pretty rough but I might be able to make it work. The head is busted and the transmission is rusted up but I think heads are only $25 from the guy I buy parts from.

I might pick it up. What I really need is just a power unit but if I have to buy the frame and all I will. The ones I've found in LA folks want $500 or more for and thats just the unit....seems kinda insane. I wouldn't mind a couple hundred or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:59 pm:

Aaron's question still didn't get answered, What's a FT-B? Inquiring minds want to know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:03 am:

I was, still am, thinking about buying the touring. It is bad, block is busted and the body is missing all the wood and some sheet metal, but it's more of a body than I have for my running chassis. On my 14 I started out with the same, rusty sheetmetal brought to me in a box by UPS. He has an extra transmission there also, with a ring gear so it's a later model, but may be 19-25, it's been a month since I was there and can't remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:05 am:

FTB = Franchise Tax Board - in Calif. They collect income taxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:09 am:

OOPS I guess I should have better stated that. It's a Polish armored car. The links I posted are of past topics about it.

Click the links for pics and details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:14 am:

What parts do you need Corey? I have some stuff, not much body wise though. What year is your touring?

Would you object to spending a few hundred shipping a near rust free body from up north if you could have it for about a grand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:20 am:

It's a 21, but right now it's a chassis. I want a touring so I can haul more people than in my runabout. Depending on how many hundreds for shipping $1000 seems ok. Work is just so slow it's hard to let go of that much all at once. I need another job, but where to find one? I have most all the mechanicals in order. I've thought of building a hack body, but I like the Ford bodies better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:23 am:

I've got to go to bed so I can get up for work tomorrow, but maybe we can talk about it more tomorrow-Corey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:34 am:

You need to check with the guy I got mine from, Steve Jorgenson. I paid $1,500 for my rust free 1924 roadster about 8 years ago from him, all complete, etc. He has acres and acres of cars and had allot of Model T's and other 20's cars.

I don't know what he has left but I'd wager to say allot. Email him, maybe say Patrick in Lafayette LA referred you, but ask and see if he has any touring bodies by themself or maybe the panels to make up what you need.

Dude I gotta tell you, I thank the Lord for guiding me to getting my car from out of state and around that area because it seems like nothing ever rusts up there or even gets severely pitted?!?! I paid $300 to truck it down here but i saved that and waaaaaaay more in patch panels and bodywork because it required almost none, maybe a small handfull of bondo at most. Steve does have some junkers but he has allot of real nice near rust free ones too.

Here's his info. You might be able to ship what you need UPS even? :-)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1980643/1948-cadillac-fleetwood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:58 am:

I GOT IT! Corey....you want to split it? You take the body and stuff you need and I'll take the power unit and leftovers?!?!?!

Being the power output is the same, I can make do with the early engine. If Steve doesn't have what you need or you decide not to go with him and you decide to go with Keiths and just need specific parts then how about we pick what we need and split the cost? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:48 am:

Hey check this out, found some more detailed pics of the Tfc.
Regular car chassis and running gear.

http://czolg.blox.pl/2009/08/Foto-Tank-Samochod-pancerny-Ford-TFC-1.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration