6 volt LED stop/Tail light bar?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 6 volt LED stop/Tail light bar?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:41 am:

Good morning all - Well . . 29 degrees in Orlando - Florida . . what's with that! (Global Warming?)
I'm looking for a 6 volt LED light bar - like the kind I've seen on motorcycles recently. Really, REALLY bright and it also 'flashes' when the brake light is on - anyone have a source? I've seen this on Amazon but, no way to know if they make it in a 6 volt. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028OMT7I/ref=pe_58340_17984850_pe_vfe_t1
Thanks / Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:56 am:

Don,

Be careful your comment could be misconstrued as political! :-)

BTY it's -17 here in upper Michigan, a good day for surfing! Or flying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:00 am:

There is an ad in the "Restorer" magazine put out by the Model A Ford Club of America for a 6-volt LED brake light. Says it is 12 inches long, 7/8ths inches deep and 5/8ths inches high. J & L Enterprises, Inc., to order, call 860-916-3582. I have not seem one installed nor do I know the price. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:05 am:

http://www.jandlenterprise.com/products/products.htm

Looks like about $50.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:13 am:

Many 12V LED's will work just fine on 6 volts. I have some small round reflectors that are packaged as 12 volt but when I hook them to a 6v battery they light with the same enthusiasm as when they are on 12v.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 01:19 pm:

Most of the stuff I have looked at is 12V. I have been looking at Harrison Specialties at their 24 LED lights are available in 6V. But it is not a 3rd light.

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HS&Ca tegory_Code=L

I also have been considering adding a small 12V motorcycle batter to run the turn signals and brake lights. But the battery would need to be charged periodically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 01:29 pm:

What about what Bill brought up? I have always wondered if the 12v LED lights will safely work on 6v T system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:33 pm:

Most actual LEDs actually require only about 2.5v (and will blow if they get more), so assemblies you see for 12v will have resistors in series, or have the actual LEDs connected in series so that each device only gets 2.5v.
You can buy individual LEDs cheaply (Radio Shack?)and combine several of these into an assembly with resistors for a 6V unit, or you might be able to change the resistors in a light sold as 12v to make it correct for 6v.
You can even make your own LED 'bulb' set which will fit into an old lamp, using a dud bulb base.
Look here to learn more:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:10 pm:

Here is a source of 6 volt LED Automotive bulbs.

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:37 pm:

What little I know about LEDs, you significantly shorten there life by running them outside their ideal operating voltage range. I also have heard that it is much worse to run them with to much voltage as they run hot and rapidly die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:09 pm:

Well - My guess is the 'resistor' part will be in the LED unit itself - so, maybe you'd get twice the life running a 12 volt unit at 6-volts! Ya' think? Heck I ordered the unit anyway! I'll let ya' know what I blow when I hook it up! If I blow all the bulbs - I'll just sell it 'Mikey' . . his lights are never working!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:38 am:

I was looking for a kit at Tractor Supply and noticed that while all of their kits appeared to be 12 volts, some of them were designed to be "demonstrator models". These were powered by a 9 volt battery.
I can't imagine them using a 9 volt for demo purposes if it didn't provide the same light as 12 volts does.
If 9 volts works, I'm thinking 6 volts should as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:47 am:

LEDs are diodes. They have a forward voltage that is more-or-less fixed, regardless of current through the diode.

Red LEDs have a forward voltage of about 1.8 volts and most of them are designed to be operated at 20 mA.

A six volt bulb will most likely have strings of LEDs with two LEDs (forward voltage 3.6 volts) plus the resistor (per string).

A 12 volt bulb will likely have four LEDs (7.2 forward volts) or five LEDs (9.0 forward volts) plus the resistor (per string).

If 12 volt LED bulbs with four or five LEDs per string are used at 6 volts, the forward voltage of the diodes may not even be reached. If they glow at all, it will be very dim.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Jensen on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:02 am:

I put one on my T just over a year ago, it was a little weak. So my brother got the idea to hook it up to the mag, it glows now. He reasoned that the mag out-put would be at the lower end when braking, and the LEDs work in a range, and this would be the upper side. Its worked great so far.
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:47 am:

I use 12 volt LED's on turn signals using six volts. They are not as super bright as with 12 volts but are still a whole lot brighter than a normal 6 or 12 volt standard bulb. I like em just fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration