Need to drill a hole in windshield for a Fyrak spotlight.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Need to drill a hole in windshield for a Fyrak spotlight.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:16 pm:

I have a "Fyrak" spotlight that I would like to install through the windshield of my '26 coupe. I have seen glass hole cutting bits made by either Fyrak or Clymer for cutting this hole. I'm sure anyone lucky enough to have one of these rare bits would not considering loaning it out to me (and rightfully so), so in the absence of one of these glass hole cutters, what is the best way to cut a hole approximately 1 1/4"? Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:31 pm:

Take it to an automotive glass shop for install :-)

Safety plate has that plastic film layer sandwiched inside, doing home made cutting would be tough, glass shops have the tools and skill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:00 pm:

It's not just the bit you'll need. The diamond bits this large MUST be used with a drill press that you can adjust the speed down to about 600rpm. You'll need a way to hold the glass and you'll need coolant. The bits aren't that expensive but all the necessary equipment and supplies add up.

Here's a bit:
http://www.technologylk.com/1-1-4-diamond-plated-core-drill-bit-32-mm-126-lk-DCD B32.htm

Here's the coolant:
http://www.technologylk.com/8-ounce-bottle-of-diamond-tool-coolant-concentrate-m akes-3-gl-of-coolant-lk-DTC80Z.html

Here's a coolant pooling ring:
http://www.technologylk.com/crl-suction-base-drilling-ring-4-1-2-diameter-lk-RR4 5.html

You can also use a ring of modeling clay to pool the coolant around the bit. Don't be stingy with the coolant and don't use plain water. There's a lubricant in the coolant too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:02 pm:

Thank you Ken. Good advice. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:06 am:

You can sandblast a hole thru the windshield. Clamp a rubber doughnut to one side and blast your hole thru the center of the doughnut. A fellow in our club has done several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul B on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 04:32 pm:

Hey I have a question about this post...

The guy I bought my 24 roadster from had a 25 coupe in the garage (all restored). He had what looked like a bullet hole in his windshield - kind of bizarre looking. He told me that he had no idea what it was for (and he's had the car for 15 years) and never seen another one like it. Is this what was in his front windshield?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:54 am:

Here's a photo of a windshield mounted spotlight:

spot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:57 am:

Here's another shot from behind:

rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:59 pm:

Paul, if it was nice clean round hole, approximately 1 1/4" dia., it probably had one of these lights mounted through it at one time. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul B on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:31 am:

Jim
That is exactly his car!! It's a 25 coupe and the mount for that light is exactly what it shows in the picture. Cool!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 08:54 am:

This one was cut using the bead blast cabinet. A piece of rubber with a hole in it was used to define the hole.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration