'24 coupe on ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: '24 coupe on ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:00 pm:

There is a '24 coupe for sale on ebay (auction 290512833943). I'm posting a picture of it. Is it my imagination or does that rear fender look wrong for this car? On my '26 coupe, the wheel is centered proportionally in the well, but on this car the wheel appears to sit forward of center so much that it doesn't look right. Is this correct, or is there a reason it appears to be wrong? Is it possible they have the wrong rear fender on this car? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:14 pm:

Jim

The rear fender position on that coupe is pretty typical. The earlier cars all had that fender close to the tire, and of course, high up when the springs are unloaded. When full of passengers and loads, that fender will droop down in the rear.

The Improved Car rear fenders are different in position at that leading edge of the rear tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:22 pm:

It always amazes me how close the rear wheel is to the running board and lower edge of the fender. That aside, that fender's contour is all wrong. Look at all the other photos, the fender has a clean, consistent arc all the way over the wheel. That fender is all messed up. Otherwise, it looks like a really nice car.
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:28 pm:

The outer edge of the fender toward the rear looks like it got puller up. That might be easy to correct????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:03 am:

Maybe it was this coupe? If you fixed this one, it would probably end up like that. This particular car was for sale last year along with my '13 Speedster. I'm not sure where the coupe ended up.

ab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 05:58 am:

Great question Patrick.
I was just looking at a photo of my '22 the other day and thought the rear wheels looked awfully close to the front of the wheel well instead of centered.

Glad to hear that is typical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hunt Dowse on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:19 am:

I was just worrying about that closeness yesterday looking at my '23 roadster. It's actually good to see another car with the wheel so close to the front of the left rear fender. Means we're in good company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:02 am:

I wonder if Henry did that to prevent using oversize tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:31 am:

It may have been a "standard sizing thing" with Henry...If he made the running boards and splash aprons shorter to move the fender up it would mean retooling just for one model. If he made it fit then one size fits all! Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:18 am:

Is seems like the chassis, running gear, wheel positions and front fenders would be the constant factors here and that all the body styles would have been designed around those constants, since the bodies would all bolt to the chassis at the same locations with the rear fenders attached to the bodies. Are the other body styles for the '24 this way, as well, with the rear wheels positioned so far forward in the wheel well? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:34 am:

Did anyone notice the oil tail light on the '26-'27 in the period photo?

That would be a non-starter mag only improved car.

Interesting.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:41 am:

If I am not mistaken the 23-25 T Coupe rear fender apron extended all the way down to the frame.
The 24 T coupe that I restored did not have the fenders like the car that is pictured on the first post.
Those fenders are for the touring and roadsters. They will definately fit but not correct.
When I inherited the 24 Coupe many years ago my grandfather had put those type of fenders on it.
The original type fenders would rust away as the apron to frame area was a catch all for dirt and moisture. So folks would find some off of a touring or radster and install them on their Coupe.
If you have some of the vendors catalogs or if you look online at their websites you can see the difference.
I dont know about the earlier T Coupes.
Maybe someone else on the forun does.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration