Any barrel makers here?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Any barrel makers here?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:59 pm:

I am wanting to find or have made two storage tanks for my speedster. One for oil, one for water. Im thinking like 6 - 8 inch dia. by 12 or 14 inch long. The ends to have an oil drum type in-set. About a 1/4 - 1/2 inch in-set.
Each to have a brass radiator drain like spicket and a filler neck with cap that would appear period. If I can find someone interested in making something like these I will draw up some plans. If some one has something like this and is in clean shape, please send me an email at
hott-racer@live.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Ohio on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:58 am:

Tyrone,

I have a couple of old wooden nail kegs but I think they may be too big but I will measure them. You want to look for a barrel "Cooper" they make barrels from scratch. Try a distillery or a large vineyard who would have resident Coopers making barrels for them everyday. You may also want to look at places like Colonial Williamsburg VA where tradesmen still make barrels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:55 am:

I don't think nail kegs will work. The staves are thinner than regular wood barrels and tend to have too much gap between them and probably wouldn't tighten up sufficiently if soaked to prevent leaks. I think most barrels made for liquid storage also have a tongue & groove arrangement on the stave edges (the rain barrels on my place our too hard to get to right now so I can't verify this last statement). I think you'll need to look for a cooperage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:23 am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjdrTgyWwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvW8g42a4kw&feature=related

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:30 am:

Tyrone,

There is a difference between a barrel to hold liquid and "slack cooperage" that's a barrel to hold dry items, like flour etc...
We had one of the last slack Cooperages in the US in Cambridge Md. Brooks Barrel Co. unfortunately they are now gone...had been in business for more than 100 years. :-(

Denny is correct try a google search for Coopers or barrel making and look for something designed to hold liquids.
The distillery connection maybe a good one to look in to.

Good luck.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:48 am:

OK, you guys have to know what Im thinking, not what Im saying. I am wanting metal as in tin, steel, brass barrels or I should say drums, tanks, tubes etc... sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on the Plains of Colorado on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:57 am:

Tyrone, have you thought about old Fire extiguishers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:13 am:

WWII aircraft instruments, etc., were shipped in special made small steel drums, heavily padded inside.

I would check tbay.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:20 am:

There is that gass, water, and oil can set that is a copy of an original accessory and is available from the parts vendors.
No pretty drain valve, but you could add that.
You would have the oil and water and a third one possibly for some of those Tennessee distillery products???????
WOW:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:37 am:

quote:

OK, you guys have to know what Im thinking, not what Im saying. I am wanting metal as in tin, steel, brass barrels or I should say drums, tanks, tubes etc...

LOL... I'm not sure what you're thinking now. :-)
As already mentioned, there's period correct gas, oil and water tanks available. What "period" are you considering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:26 pm:

What about a modern steel canister inside a wooden drum? The wood could be leaky and nobody would ever know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:12 pm:

Tyrone,you can buy round cans in various sizes. A good tin man can attach just about any fixture you'd want.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration