Another Model T on the road! Nellie fires up and runs!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Another Model T on the road! Nellie fires up and runs!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 05:42 pm:

Today was the big day for Nellie, the '23 Cutoff touring....got her all assembled and ready for the big event...that is the fire up time :-)

So to make this fun for me and some of you, I didn't prep or start her up, just finished the assembly, added gas, oil and water, and took my chances she would fire......

Just placed the video camera on the bench, and turned it on.....no interruptions, wanted to show how or maybe 'if' the T would run today!

This attached YouTube video of the start up is a bit long, over 3 minutes :-( I thought she would hit right off, but the ole gal was stubborn or maybe I was having trouble getting the carb adj right for the first time ? :-)

Anyway enjoy:

You Tube "First Start 1923 Model T"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPaTUxjKNA0

And here is another YouTube of Nellie running down the roads around my place.....hitting on all 4, magneto strong, ah....the joy of putting one of Henry's favorite back on the road again :-)

You Tube 'First Drive 1923 Ford'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qglUQGB6Cto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 05:52 pm:

Excellent car. Looks good from all angles. Just the right amount of age on it. Good job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks Dan, I enjoyed the outing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard "Will" Revaz on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:06 pm:

Thanks for having us along for the first outing! Hope you didn't violate that 25 MPH sped limit.

Will you be taking this new restoration on this year's Florida tour in Ocala?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:36 pm:

Dan,

Now you're ready for the free starts! :-)
Thanks for sharing, it was great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:28 pm:

Great videos Dan, I enjoyed them. They all sound, look, and act the same but different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:23 pm:

WOOOOT AWESOME WORK DAN!!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:38 pm:

Great job Dan sounds and runs great, I see
even in Fl.,Ca. stops are allowed,HaHa
Keep up the good work.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:22 pm:

Great videos!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:40 pm:

Lookin' good and makin' noise!
Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:49 pm:

Dan,

Great job!!! and a real encouragement to all of us. By the way, what does the sign on the cowl say? _____ ______ Rust

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 09:56 pm:

Since it ends in "Rust" my guess is, "My favorite color is Rust".

Congrats on your first fire-up, Dan. That's always a thrill, I don't care who ya' are. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt_Oregon on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:02 pm:

What a great looking truck. That's just how I like 'em. No make up. That's not to say a pretty car isn't nice too, but this is pure character.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:11 pm:

Dan, I think I have one side of a top irons for it if you want them. You'd need the other two and the front bow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/For%20sale/Picture092.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/For%20sale/Picture093.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:14 pm:

She is a really nice looker. I would love to see more pictures of all the accessories.

Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:07 pm:

Thanks guys and gal! (Dolo) for all the comments... just fun to make 'em run again.

Patrick, thanks for the offer, but I have the top bows for it, came with them. Whoever made this little truck from a touring back whenever, was pretty crafty. First thing, the main sill remains, so if someone later wants a touring, just add the sheetmetal, the sills are still good!

Here is the 'as found' condition. Straight from the barn. Note the engine had a metal welded carrier for the battery when found, but a factory tray was under the bed, but unused. Found that two bed boards could be remove to access the battery tray, guess who made the engine mount never looked under the chassis!

The top frame work is runabout, and someone even placed the top iron support from a runabout in the front seat sides of this touring body, a touring doesn't have top iron supports up front. So adding the top is easy now.

Just have to replace a broken front wood bow.....and will be using an ancient used runabout top I found, so the top will have patina too :-)

Nellie, ready to go riding :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:11 pm:

FANTASTIC,Dan! I love the patina of age. The body is great! No dents to hide with new paint. Just not needed. Please leave it as is. Congratulations. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:26 pm:

Dan,

Great job.
Loved the videos.
Does the old plate on the driver side cover a hole?? Or just decoration?

It's great when they are all restored mechanically and still look old.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:51 pm:

Dan

In the next video are you going to show us you hand cranking the old girl? I assume you only wanted to use the starter to get her going the first time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:59 pm:

Larry

That old tag is a 1929 GA truck tag, rusted out too, and its covering up a rusted out part of that touring panel.....only seemed appropriate :-)

And Dave, heck no, that is what the 6v battery and Ford's FA starter system is for....using it!

If I did want to crank start, probably would be using this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erhVtmB7arE&feature=player_profilepage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:51 am:

You just can't beat that "Poor But Honest" look.
We western Florida guys are going to have to get together one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:53 am:

Quite an accomplishment, Dan. Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:55 am:

Dan...She was just a little "shy"......But once she decided to run,,,,OFF SHE WENT.......sounded good too ....Quite a feat from what you started with.......Proud of ya'...Your almost ready to hit the road and install some smiles more faces...... Have fun...Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Drew Cook on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:08 am:

Thanks for the movie Dan! It reminded me so much of that wonderful day when I first started my T after getting it assembled. I've just been for an hour run in the T as it it is a warm day here in Kyogle. Thanks again for the inspiration. Regards Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Drew Cook on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:49 am:

Thanks for the movie Dan! It reminded me so much of that wonderful day when I first started my T after getting it assembled. I've just been for an hour run in the T as it it is a warm day here in Kyogle. Thanks again for the inspiration. Regards Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry McConville Ottawa, Il on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:08 am:

Dan, always amazing to see one of the old girls come to life. Thanks for the show, awesome!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:31 am:

Great work Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 01:23 pm:

Beautiful car, Dan. I really enjoyed the videos. Great job. Oh yeah, ditto what Dennis said. Happy T'ing, Bob :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kociemba-Estacada, Oregon on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:39 pm:

Great looking truck. Thanks for the inspirational vidio. I am going to have to fire up the woodstove in the shop tommorow and get to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:59 pm:

After watching the first video, all I can say is-YAAAAY!!!
Liked the first drive also.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:06 pm:

Dan,
I really enjoyed the videos, especially the one starting the motor the first time. Driving and holding the camera must have been a challenge but it really came out nice. Got my engine back last week from machine shop and your videos are a great motivator to get it back together and running again.
Thanks, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:10 pm:

Fantastic running truck, you should be proud of what you have done. Nothing like firing one up for the first time in decades, is there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:27 pm:

Great looking truck Dan!

What did you do to clean up the loose rust and slick it up? Did you wipe it down with somthing or what? It looks clean and preserved but not messed with.

I like the licence plate patch and the accessory bottle opener on the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:11 pm:

Thanks for sharing Dan. Quite an inspiration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:35 pm:

Nice truck.
What did you do to the wood on the box to make it look better than in the "as found" picture but still have the correct patina?
I have a similar truck bed and nothing to put it on. I'm jealous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:45 pm:

John and Dale

The metal was cleaned by washing with a Scotch brite pad, very light scrub on the remaining paint, more heavier scrub on the real rusted areas, using some Liquid Wrench, wetted the pad, and rubbed. Then wiped with cloth soaked in lacquer thinner.

That got off the 'high' rust on the metal, and left it cleaner. Then applied spray coats, thin, of flat or matt clear enamel rattle can stuff. While still wet, rubbed with more cloth to level it out....then a small amount of wax, and more rubbing...that's it. Treatment done, mild indoor nature will maintain since Nellie is garaged :-)

As brought home, washing off the engine and firewall of all the old grease and dirt....

After cleaning metal and applying some car wax

The wood bed was just brushed down using hardware store brand 'wood restorer', that clear or milk like stuff that is used to treat old wood, soaks in and hardens up the fibers. It penetrates the wood and drys clear. Used the same stuff on the wood spokes too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:59 pm:

Dan,

Now I remember where I saw Nellie before wasn't Pa Kettle driving her in the movie the "Egg & I
with Claudette Colbert & Fred MacMurray.

Or a T that looked alot like her. :-)

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:04 pm:

Dan,Thanks for the extra photos and explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:26 pm:

Dan,
This is really neat. I liked the spin around the neighborhood.

As long as it took to get it running I think I would have gave up before it started. Did you find any reason why it did not fire right off? Maybe the choke is not closing completely or maybe a little air leak in the intake manifold??

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:48 am:

Jim

The start up took a bit longer than expected....got sort of embarrassed K by having the video camera running the whole time.

At one point you can see me raising my hands in frustration....but my neighbor was watching me and making faces at me :-)....but, Nellie finally fired up!!!

Two things caused it I think, one is the Anderson flapper timer I coated with more of the high temp grease that Frank Fenton provides, I smeared the flapper and the contacts......normally I just smear some on the flapper....that may have hindered the spark at first.

Second, the carb was a new rebuild by Russ Potter, and the settings some times take time. I tried at first 1 1/2" turns out, but found later that 1 turn out was the setting for start.

Since first start, Nellie now fires with just a touch of the starter button, and runs fine. Drove it today about 20 miles.....runs fine and gets better with each mile.....:-)

For sure... the fresh rebuilt Coilman coils and Regan FunProjects plastic coil box insert make the ignition a non-issue....Nellie is first rate in spark production !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:48 am:

Dan,
Sounds like you have your ignition working well.

It looks like in your video that the top arm of your choke bell crank is hitting the firewall. Are you sure that the choke butter fly valve is completely closed tight when the choke is pulled? You can check it with a mirror.

On a cold start with a slow cranking, low compression engine the choke need to close tight to pull gas into the engine.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:39 am:

That foot crank video is Bruce Atkinson of Indiana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:51 pm:

great looking truck- congrats- was I seeing things or do you have a little exhaust manifold leak? If it's running a 2-piece gasket I'd really recommend you change out to the gland set- lots better seal and might keep that exhaust manifold from warping if it hasn't already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:05 pm:

WOW! WOW! WOW! I'm in love!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:09 pm:

Jim and George

The carb choke lever is fine, just looks like hitting, but I am getting full choke. Just had the carb setting a bit too open to begin....and this was a fresh engine, oil in the cylinders I put there when turning over while fitting up the magneto, grease on the timer contacts..etc...etc.. all that little untoward things that make a first start kinda of feisty :-)

The manifold gaskets are the new copper clad asbestos type 2 piece, have much more crush thickness than the little glands. Easy to install, used with the steel rings of course. A bit of trimming of the gasket was needed on the slots to widen them for the manifold studs, to be sure the 2 piece laid flat on the freshly machined flat surface of the block and ports.

Here is another You Tube of running Nellie, the wife was along to hold the camera this time! Think she did well, her first video filming while holding on at T... Promise, this will be the last YouTube video....but was just having a bunch of fun....enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyj_cLEK3o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:33 pm:

Dan,

I love this T! Will Nellie be at Winter Tour Ocala in March?

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:41 pm:

Dennis

Yep, Steve Ellis, the tour chairman says he can park my rig so I can get out....its only a 45 min. drive in the hauler to go get Nellie for one of the tour days.

Am driving the '27 touring most of the tour...a bit better looking ride, Ruckstell, Rockys, and has shiny paint on her :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis L. Myers on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:22 pm:

Dan, It will be great to see Nellie there. I appreciate the way you've preserved Nellie's finish. Nettie won't make it this year, but maybe in '12. Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Stone Poca, WV on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 06:09 pm:

Dan, it would be nice if you could bring Nellie for the rodeo on Tuesday of the Winter Tour. She sure would get a lot of attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Kuehn on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:54 pm:

Dan, you get the Blue Ribbon for a freshly restored 'barn fresh' to "barn fresh original" Model T! Looks super! You did a great job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration