Wood Grain Orientation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Wood Grain Orientation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:00 pm:

I will be making my spoke blanks soon. I have 8/4 Shagbark Hickory, that is flat sawn. With a little bit of planning, I could maximize my yield of spokes by ripping the spokes out on their side. I believe this will give me a spoke face that is quarter sawn. Does anyone know of any reason(s) why not to do this? My newly purchased sample spoke has a flat sawn face. But that does not mean it is correct, it could be more economical.

I have some really nice wood, the grain appears nice and straight one board has a little check on one end.

wood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

Jason -- I don't see any reason not to saw them as you pictured. They should actually be stronger when turning corners than flat-sawed ones. The main issue is to have continuous grain from end to end. (But you knew that.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:55 am:

The spokes should be made out of split hickory. That will ensure that the grain is followed.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:55 am:

Yes, I also read where the best way to ensure the grain is straight is not to cut the wood, but to split the board with a sharp hatchet or for more precision, a hammer and sharp narrow wedge. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration