Model T License Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Model T License Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bobbie Coombs on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:57 am:

Good morning all! New here with a question I hope someone can help with.

I have two old photos of a model T. The license is clearly visible in both and shows "106" in large numbers horizontally, shows "12" in small numbers vertically, and then two upper case letters vertically -- the first is an "A" but I'm unsure about the second -- could be an "O" or a "G". Photos are most likely from somewhere in the midwest, probably Indiana. Does the "12" indicate the license is from 1912? And does the "106" have any significance?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:09 am:

I would say that the letters stand for the state, the 12 is the year and the 106 means that when that tag was issued, that Model T was the 106th vehicle in that state to receive a tag. I don't know if they started over from 1 when a new year started or if the numbers just continued sequentially, or if the driver retained the same number year after year. Jim Ptrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:38 am:

Jim is right on the money as to the commonality of plate layouts of the time.

1912 is still an interesting year as many states had not yet centralized DMV. The 'A' 'something' may not be a state at all...rather a county issuance. The sort then almost endless.

Put a scan of your photo up, might ring a bell with someone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bobbie Coombs on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:19 pm:

Thanks so much, guys! The license in my photos doesn't have the full 1912 like in those that Jim's post shows and my letters are to the right of the "12" rather than on the left as with Jim's. I don't have a scan at the moment but will try to get one. Once again, many thanks for the info!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:06 pm:

Bobbie most licence that I've seen have the year at the far right or across the bottom. In my state, Iowa, they started using county numbers on the left side of the plate in 1922, because there was a growing number of cars. They experimented with letters and numbers to designate counties for a while until they finally came up with a solution that worked the best. Our 1916 plate never had a date on it and was used through 1918 because of WWI. I've found that a lot of states copied each others methods.

Here's a very good website for reference. Scroll down on the left side and see if you can find your plate.

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bobbie Coombs on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:55 am:

Just wanted to let you know that I finally figured out the license plate in my photos and couldn't have done it without your help. I used John's link as a starting point and looked at tons of license plates. My plate DOESN'T have what I originally thought was 12 and A something... it's IA at the top and 20 at the bottom.... a 1920 Iowa plate.

This was one of those things that keeps you up at night so thank you all for letting me get some sleep :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration