ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/17/10 APCO COMBO CAST IRON MUFFLER AND CUTOUT FOR FORD CARS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/17/10 APCO COMBO CAST IRON MUFFLER AND CUTOUT FOR FORD CARS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 01:09 pm:

This unit takes the place of the stock muffler. I'm looking forward to trying this puppy out on our 27 speedster and see how it sounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:06 pm:

APCO CAST IRON MUFFLER AND CUTOUT PATENT

William Storrie
Providence, Rhode Island
Assignor to Apco Manufacturing Co.
Providence, Rhode Island
Gas-Engine Muffler
Patent number: 1382810
Filing date: May 27, 1919
Issue date: Jun 1921
http://tinyurl.com/3ysb6ac
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ysb6ac

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay BC on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:18 pm:

Great, I get it now. Neat muffler, and cut out. The provision for extra muffler draft is hilarious. I'll bet it works though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:00 pm:

Although not the same idea, there is an eBay seller who offers a T muffer with the cutout built-in. It's not a drop-in kind of fit, but the exhaust pipe has to be cut shorter to fit it in. I plan on using one in my racer.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:36 pm:

How is it listed? I couldn't find it.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:13 pm:

Jay,that's the kind of thing that if I saw it at a swap meet or flea market for 2 or 3 dollars I would pass on it because I wouldn't have any idea what it is.
Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:21 am:

Got one of those eBay things too, mounted it on a speedster chassis, but never finished this project. Sold off the parts, kept this replica of a cutout muffler....may use it sometime on another T :-) Sound should be petty mean....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:31 am:

thats cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge stittville NY (upstate) on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:32 am:

i would like to put one of those modern cut out mufflers on my speedster. as gary posted, please help us find it on e bay. i searched and came up with nothing. someone out there in T land must know a part number or who is selling the new cut out muffler. pleaase help gary and i find it, thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:38 pm:

The seller is Bill7472, but he doesn't have any of the mufflers listed at the moment. Luckily I saved one of his previous eBay listings and below is the text from that page. His descriptions and or prices may not be the same (if and when he offers them again) as this is an older listing.

Regards,
Garnet

Bill7472's items for sale:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/bill7472/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Model T Ford speedster cut-out muffler combination
Item condition: New
Compatibility: This information is not available.
Price: US $235.00

SPEEDSTER CUT-OUT MUFFLER EXHAUST COMBINATION

This cut-out muffler exhaust combination was made by several after market manufactures as an exhaust system accessory. See photo of original advertisement.

The cut-out muffler exhaust system combination is being reproduced using all new steel components.

The design of the exhaust system allows the exhaust tone to enter the large diameter tube to magnify the sound, giving it a deep racing roar.

At the end of the large tube is a spring loaded butterfly valve. This valve closes off the large tube and then directs the exhaust through the original Ford muffler giving it a nice quite sound.

This exhaust system is not only popular on speedsters but also used on conventional Fords.

The installation of this exhaust system requires tail pipe modification which would need to be performed by a local muffler shop, i.e. sizing and welding.

Over all length of the system is 38".

The floor foot control cut-out lever my be used to open and close the butterfly valve.

Made in the U.S.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:39 pm:

... and my appologies Jay for hijacking yer thread. I'll go stand in the corner with a Chebby hat on.

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:11 pm:

Garnet, Many thanks for adding your cutout muffler to the thread. It looks like a great unit for a speedster. Glad to see some one is reproducing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:19 pm:

Here's a link to Bill's website:

http://www.antiquetmotorsports.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 04:02 pm:

Just wanted to add this 1919 ad for the APCO muffler.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration