Off topic. Need information for my 41 Oldsmobile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Off topic. Need information for my 41 Oldsmobile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:54 pm:

I need a clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing set up for my 6 cylinder 1941 Oldsmobile. What years and will the parts from the other GM cars around that year will interchange for my Oldsmobile or does it have to come from another 41 Oldsmobile. Also would anybody know where I could find the right 16 inch wheels for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:24 pm:

That's one very unique and lovely looking machine, Will. I do love the "Jello-mold" cars.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:52 pm:

Will,

I'd think Chevrolet of the same era might be the same, but I don't know for sure. It could be like the Ford & Mercury wheels of the late 40s, Merc wheels won't fit a Ford.

As for parts, I had a '49 Olds in the shop and ordered parts from Fusick. They were good to deal with and no complaints.

Providing I can find it, I have a 1940s Interchange book. It's just going to take some plundering to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:53 pm:

Shes a great car and runs great also. It's just when I bought it the lady failed to mention the missing clutch parts. Of course I should had see the clutch pedal laying on the floor. The transmission was buryed under a hill of trash on the floor. I'm finding it hard to belive old white haired ladyes anymore. I would had still bought it but I sure wish she had said something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:05 pm:

Kanter Auto Products catalog shows to have everything for the clutch, but you might shop around first. I bought a clutch from them for my 47 Hudson, but paid a bit more than what I could have gotten one for from a man right here in Texas. Places can rebuild your original or a good parts house might can order one for a 40s GM car. I used to buy 38 Chevrolet parts from a regular parts house, mechanicals anyway. Not Auto Zone, but a good old independant parts house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bell on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:14 pm:

My great aunt bought one of them new but it was a hydromatic. She drove it till the headlights where not as bright any more, then she drove it only in the day time for about another year before her eye sight went all the way. She was 88 when she left and I had painted and fixed the car every couple of year to keep it up, the barn doors kept rubbing the side of the car.I think she had about 200,000 on it and she took it to the dealership all the time for mechanical repairs. They had to of laughed every time a young kid had to work on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:31 pm:

Go to Ebay and search Oldsmobile Interchange and the blue covered book will show up. That will help you with your quest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:48 pm:

Many years ago, I pulled the engine out of a 41 Olds 6 cylinder and installed it into a 41 Pontiac 6 cylinder. Only things I had to change was to drill some new holes in the crossmember for the motor mounts and fabricate a new accelerator linkage. The whole engine and transmission fit right in. The transmission and clutch were very similar, but I don't know if they were interchangeable. The driveshaft fit. Don't remember which one I used though.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:49 pm:

Far as the clutch, I'd think as long as the spline count & diameter were the same you could use anything that fit within those parameters.

That would certainly increase your options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:11 pm:

I checked advance auto and they carry a clutch for the 42 chevy pickup but dont show 1 for my 47 pontiac.BUT that dont mean you cant ask the parts man there to look it up in thier books.They can git alot more parts than thier computers show.
Napa would also be a good choice.The reason I say that,they can at least give you the name a of a local rebuilder in your area that can rework your parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:13 pm:

The 16 inch wheels are going to be a pain to locate.I have been hunting for the 16 inch wheels for my pontiac since I bought it.Olds,pontiac,chevy,all different wheels,different hubcap fit ups.It would pay ye to ask around for a set of 15's that may have come on the later 1's.For example my 15 inch wheels came from I think a 49 pontiac,but my stock hub caps fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN ROSSI. BRANFORD, FL on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:29 pm:

WILL. GO TO A JUNKYARD, THEY HAVE BOOKS THERE THAT WILL TELL YOU THE PARTS THAT WILL FIT OTHER CARS.....VERY HANDY CROSS-REFERENCE BOOKS AND PRETTY EXPENSIVE....THAT '41 BUSINESS COUPE OLDS WAS ALWAYS MY FAVORITE GROWING UP...NEVER GOT TO OWN ONE THOUGH.....LOVE THAT FRONT END....GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY TIMES WORKING IT UP...JACK ROSSI '25 ROADSTER PICK-UP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd in Adelaida Calif on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:42 pm:

I am not sure (wonderfully bad memory) but it might be the same as Buick of the same era. Is it a 10" clutch? I think there is a chevy clutch and PP that interchanges (late 50's chey and corvette?).

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:07 am:

Try this

http://www.kanter.com///gallery.aspx?Tg=7323742&Mak=Oldsmobile&Yr=41&Dv=1&Dpt=15 00&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Prc=

Good luck

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:33 am:

Nice car, I know this is a model T forum.....but it is good to see that we try and help someone that has a project other than a model T. I think having a dependable model T in the background (picture) justifies the supportive responses. Smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 02:58 am:

Hmmmm. I am not sure why my link did not work. If it takes you to Kanter Auto parts them click on "clutch disc". If not call them at 800 526 1096.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:18 pm:

Will, in those days parts did not interchange the way they did later on. Olds, Pontiac, and chevy were seperate divisions alltogether with exception of some body, electrical and bearings. Good luck, Fine looking car. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:23 pm:

If you have any of the centers for Olds,you can buy new rims and weld your centers in them.That is the last resort I am lookint at to get 16's back on my car.But the 15's look stock from a few feet away and it aint the highest thing on my list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

I have been trying to buy new rims for 20 years.
Even wheel shops can't help me. Where to get them seems to be a well gaurded secret.

You can weld 15" rims to 16" centers but you'd have a hard time welding 16" rims to a 15" enter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration