Rubber Door Bumpers for 1926 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Rubber Door Bumpers for 1926 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Markley on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:10 pm:

I have almost completed the redo of my 1926 roadster--but cannot seem to locate the door bumpers--wondered if anyone else had found them--repo'ed them or have a suggestion? They are located above the door catch and appeared to be rubber (but mine were very hard and crumbled when removed) They appeared to be like a rounded button of rubber that pressed into a hole to keep the top of the door from rattling.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:16 pm:

Rattling.....that's funny ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:39 pm:

I found a kit of Model A door bumpers from a Model A parts supplier. There are some that work in a Model T 1926 Roadster. It's been a while. I don't know whether the place is still in existance. The name was Old Cars & Parts in Santee Ca.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:42 pm:

Gary, by the looks of your post, I would say that you will have to fix a lot of knocks and squeaks before you will be able to hear the door rattle.
Good luck :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:35 pm:

A tubeless tire valve stem fits right in those holes and they are easy to find, of course they aren't original but if you aren't worried about that they work good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Nelson on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:11 pm:

Snyders (2010 catalog A-185) has the sets for Model A. There are a few items that you won't need.
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:43 am:

Where does that rubber door bumper go and what does it bump?

My doors open all the way and bump the hood, but I don't see any place for a bumper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:13 pm:

Bumper is on the body side of door sill just aft of the door latch. Keeps the door from rattling when it's shut. You need door "straps" to control the door when it's open. They are in the supplier catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Markley on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:09 pm:

Thanks for the help! Didn't think of the tubeless tire stem! But will source the Model A set. Hopefully getting the last few parts back from the painters next week and will have it on the road again mid January...Rattles and All!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 12:56 am:

I tried the Model A bumpers. They were way to loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 04:14 am:

Lowes....Home Depot

Look in the fasteners/hardware section in the drawers. They have misc bumpers for furniture and cabinets and such. Found an almost exact replacement for another guys 26 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald L Leirer on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:13 pm:

Could someone post a pic of one of the bumpers? My 26 touring no longer has them. Need to know what they look like to find them.

Thanks

Jerry Leirer
Bradenton, Fla

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:41 pm:

A. Markley - Not to lead your thread astray or anything, but you did ask in your initial post if anyone had a "suggestion. This reminded me of something I did approx. 35 years ago as a temporary measure and has turned out with surprising results:

(.......purists, please disregard,.........)

Way back in the mid '70's, we bought a '23 roadster when we lived in Montana. It was then, and still is, one of those "20/20" Model T's; you know, a "driver". From 20 feet away at 20mph, it looks great.

I had no idea what to use for "bumpers" on the rattling deck lid of this roadster, so, as a "temporary" measure, I just put a little "blob" of silicone rubber (which was a pretty new thing at that time) at both lower corners of the deck lid, and left the deck lid open until the silicone rubber was probably about 2/3 "set up". Not sure how critical or how long this time frame was, but apparently at about the right stage of "curing", I closed the deck lid in order to sort of flatten but not otherwise distort these two little "blobs" of silicone rubber. And also, it had "cured" enough that it did not stick to anything but the original surface that it was stuck to.

Well, I'm trying not to make a long story here, but suffice to say, this roadster is still just a fun "driver" and after 35 or so years, I still have two very nice little soft "cushions" or "bumpers" that my deck lid rides on, and to this day, I feel no need to replace them with anything else.

All this to say that silicone rubber, or nowadays, maybe something even better, like RTV or "the right stuff" would work even better. However, I sure can't complain after experiencing a "temporary" 35-year "fix"!

For what it's worth,........harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration