Refinished my steering wheel...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Refinished my steering wheel...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 10:48 pm:

A few weeks ago, I posted a query on how to go about refinishing my Spencer accessory steering wheel. I ended up using a custom mixed oil based stain and about 10 coats of tung oil, applied and rubbed by hand. (disregard the masking tape on the spider...didn't want to scratch up the finish when putting the spider back on)

I was after an English walnut look - reminiscent of the famous "WO" Bentleys. Now I'm in the process of adding a steering wheel wrap - also inspired by the early Bentley.

The wrap is made from tobacco brown waxed linen (waterproof, colorfast, and rotproof) tied in a series of half hitches in the "French coxcomb" pattern. Not sure if I like it or not...I lightly distressed the wrap to add some 'seasoning'.

I also experimented with a nautical 'turks head' knot to mark the center of the wheel, but I think it's a little too gaudy for my tastes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 10:56 pm:

I like the "turk's head" knot, but gaudy never bothered me. I just call it "fancy" instead. Your wheel looks great, but are you going to wrap it up so you can't see the wood? I'm confused. Those half hitches remind me of how my grandma used to wrap yarn around clotheshangers, so rust wouldn't get on her clothes.I've got to come look at your stuff, I'm in town every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:25 am:

Sometimes, less is more. Especially on a Model T. You did such a great job on the finish, it would be ashamed to add distractions that will take away from the nice job you did. In this instance I would go with just the steering wheel without the wrappings so as to make the finish stand out. Good job. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:27 am:

PS. It's sort of like refinishing a beautiful table, then keeping it covered with a tablecloth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary White - Brownsboro Texas on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:42 am:

Good points! I'm going to experiment with the 'wrap' and if I don't like it I'll remove it. Jim, thanks for your help...I couldn't have done it without your guidance!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration