Product errors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Product errors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:05 am:

I recently made a purchase from a product supplier that has been recommended many times on this forum. When I went to use the product I found contradictory information in the instructions. Having no reference to validate the instructions I e-mailed the supplier for assistance. The supplier promplty replied with the correct information and advised that the instructions already printed have now been corrected and the master copy has been revised.

As many members have used this same product and yet the error was unknown to the supplier, I have to wonder why nobody bothered to report it to the supplier before this.

Any supplier worth his salt will welcome such reports. It also helps the customer when such errors are corrected. I spent much time trying to figure out what information I was missing because I assumed the instructions must be correct ("surely someone would have already pointed out any error long ago"). The error was mathematical and I thought I had overlooked something.

So please, when you find an error let the supplier know (in friendly words -- anyone can make mistooks :-) )

OK, I'll get off the soap box now.

Everyone have a joyous Christmas, and tell your loved ones that you do, again!

Regards,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush, Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:11 am:

Ok, so what was the product?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:23 am:

If he tells us that, he might be giving us the suppliers name, if the supplier is the sole supplier of the product, and I think he is trying to avoid that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:46 am:

The point I was trying to make is that as customers we expect the suppliers to do right by us. In return we should do right by them by bringing human mistakes to their attention so they can correct them in a timely manner as happened in the case I described. The supplier does not deserve a bashing for not correcting an error of which he was not aware. It was not a safety related item, just a minor aggravation to the customer. I just think if we could be as helpfull to our suppliers as we are to each other life would be easier for all concerned.

Regards,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Frierson on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:17 am:

Well said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:15 am:

Bob - very good point - you are so right.
Our serious vendors are there to make some money - of course - but also to fill some voids of spare part availability. Some of them are even fully in the hobby.
We really should see them as partners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:32 am:

I am a firm believer in a sign that I saw once, it said, "If you like our service, tell others, if not, tell us". I hope all of our vendors feel the same way. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 09:59 am:

All well & good ........... why didn't the vendor supply the updated corrected info with the item before it left his establishment ?????????

oops !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:51 pm:

I would hate to be a vendor, recenty had an issue with some parts and called the vendor. Was helped and sent parts to resolve the issue NOT the vendors fault but Fords less then pure as the driven snow machineing as I checked out with two more differant year parts that are supposed to be the same.

Thanks Glen and Dave! your knowledge and time taken to explain to us brain dead T lovers is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:10 pm:

Very professional post Bob.

The vast majority of parts vendors out there are as passionate about old Fords as we are. I'm sure peddling and tinkering old Ford parts is not the most profitable business there is, but they do it and help make our hobby as enjoyable as it is.

Suppliers keep the quality parts flowing and for the most part are our friends and fellow T enthusiasts. If we can help them improve their service and quality, we should... discretely and one on one.

Having said this, I think it's also important to identify the scammers and rip of artists on the Forum when they do pop up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:37 pm:

"Brain dead T lovers"? I have never met a brain dead model T person. Most of them are incredibly intelligent and/or very smart, even if not well educated or well rounded culturally . (I have met many hundreds of non-T people I would definitely call brain dead! Sometimes I think at least half of humanity is brain dead.))
Now, model T people certifiably insane? Maybe.
Drive safe, and Happy Holidays, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:56 pm:

Not ment to insult anyone except myself Wayne, Its funny what you think you know but you dont!!

Cheers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:19 pm:

Instructions? Who reads instructions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 08:22 pm:

Warren,I do after at least 3 trys to make it work! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

My father alwas said if all else fails to read the instructions.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 12:32 am:

Tim,
My father always said "when all else fails, read the destruction sheet".
When I was about eight years old, and was building model kits, I found that many of the instructions were just plain wrong. I have only rarely read them ever since.
And Paul V. It would take a lot more than that to insult me.
My thanks to all, Happy Holidays, and drive safely, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 01:21 am:

Aggravated people on other car Forums often write, RTFM, for Read The Manual.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz-Sheboygan,WI on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:02 am:

Ricks, you forgot the F in RTFM. Reminds me of a local computer business here years ago. RTFM Services. "Read the Friendly Manual" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bell on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:28 am:

This reminds me of a part I bought years ago for the Fordor. Try to find a good window regulator for a 24, they where made out of pot metal that oxidized and fell apart. I made one on a lathe and mill.Then another took a crap, I saw one in the Lang's book it was god send for the time I had in making one. They where cast bronze, not perfect but the price was there also, I loved it but people that didn't understand that making some repo is a bitch and some of these guy's do it because they needed one. Well a couple people bitched about not being perfect and now he doesn't make them. Thanks to all the boys out there that have never made any thing and just a replacement mechanic now they are no longer carrying them, Hope you need one some day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 11:12 pm:

I agree that "bitching" can be counter productive, however I do not think positive feedback presented in a friendly manner constitutes "bitching" :-).
Over the years I have built numerous replacement parts from scratch. I used to design and build vacuum tube two-way radios for a living.
As an amateur radio operator all my equipment was "home-brew".
I bought plans for a homebuilt aircraft and after reading flight test reports from other builders I modified the plans and built the airplane from scratch (not from a kit).
When I could not buy an airconditioning system that met my needs for my motorhome, I designed and built my own.
I am not a "replacement mechanic".:-)

Regards,
Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration