OT: Rough winter in Europe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: OT: Rough winter in Europe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:17 pm:

I hope that our European forum members are doing all right. I saw in the Dutch paper yesterday and today that, because of the snow and winter weather, roads are being shut, trains are experiencing delays and flights are non-existent. I saw that German police were called to Frankfurt airport to calm angry passengers. My niece posted on Facebook yesterday that it took her an hour and a half to walk home from work in Amsterdam because the trams weren't running.

Doesn't sound like fun....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:23 pm:

It's that GLOBAL WARMING again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

One theory: melting freshwater ice from Greenland disrupts the Gulfstream, and puts northern Europe into an ice age. Hope they get better T weather soon.

Here in Socalif we're in a week of Oregon mist. It missed Oregon.

Hope it dries out for the Holiday Motor Excursion next Sunday.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson, Rupert, Idaho on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:33 pm:

It is not global warming anymore, now it is "Climate Change" that way, not mater what happens, they can claim to be right. Actually, global warming is a fact, and it can cause masive extinctions, it has alredy happened, but the same people who cry about climate change claim that it was over hunting by humans that caused the extinctions of all the large mammals in North America, not the global warming that has been happening for the past 12,000 to 15,000 years. Long before we started burning petrolium products in automobiles like the Ford Model T. Did you notice how I managed to get an off topic thread back on topic?
Best
Gus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:43 pm:

It's not quite rocket science to calculate all the oil burned each year in the world, and to estimate the total heating. I haven't seen the numbers, but I won't believe the opinions paid for by the oil companies, for some reason.

This is the hottest year on record.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

Yup, Oregon mist..

From AP:
LOS ANGELES A series of winter storms is bearing down on California, where officials are preparing for possible flooding and posting mudflow warnings for burn areas in the San Gabriel Mountains and in Malibu.

The National Weather Service says a low pressure system off Oregon has created a band moisture that starts in Hawaii and points directly at Central California.

Meteorologist Jim Dudley says the Central Valley will get 1 to 3 inches of rain by Monday with up to 15 inches of rain in the Sierra, which could prompt flooding in streams and rivers.

Northern California is expecting 5 inches of rain over the weekend, and officials in San Francisco are distributing sandbags to residents as they brace for possible flooding.

Southern California could see 2 to 4 inches along the coasts and valleys with double that in the mountains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 12:54 pm:

Well, whatever you think, Ralph.

I hope the Europeans get a break in their weather too, Dick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:26 pm:

Well! Here it is just misty. Just a little more percipitation this fall than usual and less windy. I like it that way, there is less fire danger.

Tuesday, our son is to fly to Sacramento to visit another son who lives near there. I hope the weather is good and they don't have flooding. Our daughter lives in Washington state and have had more rain than usual with flooding.

I have lived long enough to notice that there are no two years with the same weather, and I would suspect it has been so since the beginning. I really don't think that we or our great grandchildren have much to worry about as far as changes in weather, but they do have a lot to worry about with politicians trying to force people to conform to their own ideas about how to change the climate. We are rapidly losing our freedom and ability to be creative.

To get back to Model T's. Would Henry Ford have been able to invent and produce the Model T in today's environment? That is the big question.

Looking backward: If the automobile had not been invented, I wonder how deep we would be in manure with today's traffic being pulled by horses?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 01:32 pm:

Horses are vegetarians so horse crap makes excellent fertilizer.

With all that fertilizer, we could have grown lots more corn and made booze out of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 02:29 pm:

Being from Louisiana, I bet you have tasted home made booze far superior to anything I have made or tasted over the years!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:23 pm:

We've had a really cold fall here on the east coast. Our highs have been at numbers that were usually our normal lows, and it's not even winter yet! So far this month we've had two snow events, and one more happening today. Typically we don't get snow until mid-January, which has me worried about the next couple months.

It wasn't that long ago that Europe was suffering from a massive heat wave, even Russia had their worst summer in history and now they have to deal with this. I hope they can brave it for a little while longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:48 pm:

Seth makes a good point... more Manure, more Corn, more Corn, more Booze, more Booze, more Drunks, more Drunks, less worry about climate change!

As for me it would be: More corn, more Motor fuel, more Motor fuel, more T driving!

I just checked the rain gauge and we've had three inches of Oregon mist since 8:00 PM PST here on the beautiful CA. Central Coast! Sorry it missed you Ralph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

My wife was able to get through Frankfurt Airport last night on her way to the UAE, Abu Dhabi to spend the holidays with our daughter and family.

I spoke with her a couple of hours ago and she said heavy snowfall in Frankfurt but luckily only a short delay for her.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:37 pm:

When I think of poor tired, travelers having to bed down in airports because of bad weather and lack of hotels (or money) I just shudder. So glad I can stay safely home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:50 pm:

Well I checked two places in Germany,one where my sister's in law live and it was 20 degres, with snow showers, another one is in the Southern part of Germany and it was 21 degrees and snow showers. Burr it is cold. I was there in 1956 in the Army and it went to 35 below zero, the coldest in 90 years they told us then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:54 pm:

It aint exactly been warm around here.It was 12 the other morning when I got up.
We have got to plug those evil volcanos before they disrupt the climate any worse ,they are doing more harm than we are!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:01 pm:

You don't have to be able to read the articles to see from the pictures what's happening in Holland. There are 18 articles on this page related to the weather and its effects.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:23 pm:

Thank goodness for global warming. Where I live now used to be under a mile of ice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:51 pm:

Seth,here I thought you were a Thunderbird man. They eat horses in Europe,hence no doo-doo,no corn ,etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 06:22 am:

Dick:
This night we had 5 inches of snow, not normall for here.
Merry Christmas to all of you
579R
582R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:31 am:

England is under snow again and temperatures around Birmingham touched -2F (-19C) last night. Here in Somerset it's 19F (-7C) and it looks much like Anthonie's photos of The Netherlands.
Sunny yesterday - but also cold and snowy. We walked 2 miles over the hill to the pub for lunch. Very Christmassy.
But I did have the Model T out Friday morning in the snow as it was due its annual roadworthiness check. It passed.
London's airports are closed, or almost closed. LHR has no arrivals, and few departures for today.
Forecast is very cold until mid-January, with more snow today in some areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 10:56 am:

Toon, my nephew, his wife and infant daughter live in England. They have spent the past week in Heiloo with his parents and were hoping to be able to drive back today. Haven't heard anything, so I don't know whether they tried or not.

Prettige Kerstdagen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:45 pm:

In my 55plus current years of awareness on this little rock in space, I have talked to people that remembered the U.S. civil war, were well into adulthood before they ever saw an automobile, and struggled with recessions before 1929. My parents owned one of the first television stores in the South San Francisco Bay Area. I was watching the evening news when stations signed off the air before 9:00pm. And the Evening News only lasted ten or fifteen minutes.
When I was 12, I would ride my bicycle over to a nearby neighborhood that flooded every year. Just so I could ride my bicycle through water that was one to two feet deep for blocks.
Nobody thought anything of it. There were no news crews. No helicopters circled the area. The red cross was nowhere in sight. Local police didn't even put barricades out to close the road. This was in a suburb of San Jose. The water was up to the bottom steps of a dozen apartment buildings. Many times, it didn't even make the front page on the Mercury or the NEWS (before they merged), it might be a couple photos on page three. Normal "extremes of weather" were just that, normal.

A few years ago, a major back road near me was closed "due to flooding". At least a half dozen News Vans" showed up. I saw two helicopters circling. I was driving an old full size pickup and talked my way through the roadblock. At its worst area, the water was little more than three inches deep at the middle of the road. I could understand warning barricades for small cars, but all three major Networks Evening News? In the past 20 years I have seen roads closed for water that did not and (due to surrounding areas) COULD NOT be covered across the middle of the road.
I am convinced, there is, and has been since the beginning of time, weather and climate change. But more than anything else, it is people that have changed. The Model T and the history that surrounds it tells me so.
Drive carefully, and Happy Holidays, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Wells Western Australia on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:33 pm:

Our forecast for Christmas day here in Perth Western Australia is 100 degrees. Plenty of jobs available. Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

My nephew's wife just posted this on Facebook, so let's hope it works out.

"Wish us luck, a long and cold trip to make tomorrow. Here's hoping Eurotunnel and the roads in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and England co-operate!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Goldberg A. - Tenerife, Spain on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:10 am:

Well,

Here in Tenerife the temp is around 20 Celsius..... its a rough fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:01 am:

Update on my nephew and family. His wife posted this on Facebook three hours ago: "We're home! Only 12 hours door-to-door with a 45 minute standstill in Belgium. Icy coming into the village, thank god for the Land Rover! Knackered but happy (until I think about the unpacking....) "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:59 am:

Europes winter, my nephew lives about one hour from Frankfurt/am Main, at Karlstadt, am/Main and he said they have more snow now than they have ever had and the temp's are in the 20's, in a previous post I said burr, well it is burr burr and am glad I am not in the Army over there. I spent the winter of 55, 56 and in 1956 it went to 35 below and that was the coldest they had had in 90 years. It was hard to keep warm, and just think what it was like in the War over there in the 40's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 09:45 pm:

temps in the 20's is awesome. great times to go out and play in the snow. teens are nasty cold.
and the more snow the better. send some here to Milwaukee area if you do not need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:02 pm:

Meanwhile, parts of California are expected to have more than ten feet of snow by Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:05 pm:

Dave - just come to "the ol' country" - I have 1 feet of snow in my garden and we will have "White Christmas" for the second year in a row - something very very rare.
Whats different this year is, that the cold is one month early and it has hit all of Europe. And the airports in Europe that was hit was just not prepared for snow and ice. Note that none of the airports in Scandinavia had any issues except for the planes that did not arrive from London or Frankfurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:22 pm:

We've had Oregon mist falling heavily for about a week now. Wife just stands at the window and stares.

I'm thinking I should let her in.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 02:31 pm:

It's starting to flood in San Diego. One hotel in Mission Valley has a few feet of water in the lobby, and all the electricity and computers are down. The people in the rooms above, have the choice of staying, or maybe someone will arrange a way for them to leave. Parking is also flooded so might need a boat to get out of there. The trolley station to "Fashon Valley" a big shopping mall is closed as well as the roads around there and part of the parking structure. The ground is now saturated and any more rain will just run off and make things worse.

I might explain why this takes place. The San Diego River which is usually just a trickle drains about 1/4 of the county. About 50 years ago the developers in the area thought that the banks of the river (which were farmland then) would make a good place for shopping malls and car dealers, golf courses and hotels and Qualcom Stadium. Today, there is actually water in the river! Can you imagine that? Who would have ever thought that a river would have water?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 02:52 pm:

I remember that time, Norman, although I thought it was closer to 40 years ago. The Corps of Engineers wanted to spend $millions to built a concrete riverbed like in Lost Angeles. Yep, the same CoE that built and maintained the dikes in N.O. We lived above the valley, and were among the protesters.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 04:14 pm:

My dad grew up in Nevada during the depression (the one in the '30s). He often told about a lovely new community built in a canyon on the banks of a small river. (I think this happened in the '40s after WWII.) All the old-timers protested and complained about the fools involved and said they would regret it. When the storm hit, the local sheriff drove in with a loud speaker to alert the residents. My dad said the road out was long through the canyon and all the residents got out with only the clothing on their backs by running up the less-steep sides of the canyon.
Sometimes it pays to listen to protesters, especially if they are old-timers.
Happy Holidays, and everyone be safe this winter, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration